20 replies to this topic

#1 hayno

hayno

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

Where is the best place to order a set of 8.4inch grooved and drilled front brake discs (non vented) and what are the best pads to accompany them?

#2 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:46 PM

Theyre about 50 quid at minispares, i would use green stuff ebc pads.

#3 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:47 PM

Heres the Link:
http://www.minispare...mp;tc=1#submenu

#4 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

My only experience of green stuff was a terrible one,they were on a car when I bought it & I wouldnt use them again.

I would go for mintex or ferodo pads - they are a bit dearer but ive used both and they were very good.

#5 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

mintex 1144 pads all the way :thumbsup:

#6 hayno

hayno

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:37 PM

mintex 1144 pads all the way :thumbsup:

where can i get the mintex pads from? Ive probs got a limit of around £100 quid if there is anything better around?

#7 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:49 PM

here we go again, EBC greenstuff are far superior to Mintex. A search on here will reveal all as its been discussed many times.

as for the discs, Jonspeed have them at a very competitive price at the minute. I think they are the EBC or equivilent grooved and dimpled ones. The dimples discs are far better than the drilled ones as they are a lot stronger, and can withstand higher temperatures than the drilled ones do, and dont crack as easily when your dealing with smaller sized discs like 8.4".

they are availiable from other places as well, just jonspeed were the cheapest last time i bought some.

if you want to go really tasty, search google for Rotordiscs or clicky here RotorDiscs website

Edited by Darkscamp, 19 November 2009 - 11:50 PM.

#8 mrslaphead

mrslaphead

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:53 AM

here we go again, EBC greenstuff are far superior to Mintex. A search on here will reveal all as its been discussed many times.

as for the discs, Jonspeed have them at a very competitive price at the minute. I think they are the EBC or equivilent grooved and dimpled ones. The dimples discs are far better than the drilled ones as they are a lot stronger, and can withstand higher temperatures than the drilled ones do, and dont crack as easily when your dealing with smaller sized discs like 8.4".

they are availiable from other places as well, just jonspeed were the cheapest last time i bought some.

if you want to go really tasty, search google for Rotordiscs or clicky here RotorDiscs website

Them rotordiscs make a weird noise when your driving, almost like a wheel bearing humming kind of noise.
Stop well though

#9 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

Superior at what?Fading?Glazing?disintegrating? They do make less dust though which is a plus.

Sorry to get on my high horse but i (and quite a few other people i know) find them to be crap given they are meant to be a fast road pad.

#10 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

I've had EBC Greenstuff pads fitted to my Mini for the past few years and I get virtually zero brake dust and I've not managed to cause fade even when thrashing it over the mountains here in Taffyland.

So their far superior to bog standard pads. But I've not tried Mintex and so I couldn't compare them.

But I'm more than happy with the Greenstuff anyway.

#11 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:46 PM

Superior at what?Fading?Glazing?disintegrating? They do make less dust though which is a plus.

Sorry to get on my high horse but i (and quite a few other people i know) find them to be crap given they are meant to be a fast road pad.

hmmmm.......even under extreme braking(which i regularly do), i have not known them to fade anywhere near as early as mintex or ferrodo. same goes for glazing, i can take them out when half worn and they are still perfect. I have never seen an EBC pad disintegrate, are you sure you didnt buy halfrauds ones off your mate as EBC Greenstuffs because he had painted them green.

As for spec difference, they bite from cold, have a higher temperature range, last twice as long, dont create dust, and best of all i can drive my car straight onto a race track and drive it with the confidence that it will slow down at corners from high speed, not like the season of mintex ones i had while racing(not by choice, the sponsor paid for them) where i had to let off the gas early before even thinking of pressing the brake pedal.

#12 Robbie

Robbie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Local Club: Renegade Mini Fun Club!

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

Have you seen this kit? Looks spot on to me:
Linky

Edited by RobbieH241_HEH, 20 November 2009 - 09:09 PM.

#13 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:39 PM

I have never seen an EBC pad disintegrate, are you sure you didnt buy halfrauds ones off your mate as EBC Greenstuffs because he had painted them green.

Thats what it must have been i did wonder why there were finder marks in the paint and greenstuff was written on in tipex,cheers sherlock mystery solved :)

Looks like weve had vastly different experiences of both green stuff and mintex,im happy to agree to disagree.Oh and sorry for spamming the op's thread with bickering.

#14 1380rich

1380rich

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Local Club: nope

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

mintex all the way!! my green stuff pads just fell apart after 3 months on the car

min-its stock mintex pads :)

#15 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

But my EBC Greenstuff pads have been on my Mini since something like 2002 or 2003 (okay my Mini was off the road between 2004-2007 though).

Plus their still fine and I'm not worried.

So perhaps you just had a bad batch?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users