Photo

Throttle Sticking Open And High Idle Revs (but Only Sometimes)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Jay3178

Jay3178

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini & South Central

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

I had the same happen on my mini for years, and people claimed to be possible faulty sensors, ECU failures. I recently found out what causes it and like in many cases its not as drastic and complicated to fix as some people suggest!, well my opinion anyway so I’m not going to claim to be right in case I get crucified here lol ;) , anyway, it's always a common issue when in traffic/ stationary after a bit of a drive in the warmer days. and you have a K&N style filter or induction kit I found similar to this.

Posted Image

it turns out that because there is very little room and no cool air being pushed through the grill or into the induction kit pipes to the filter, all the very hot air from the exhaust manifold rises and is sucked into the throttle. as hot air is at a different pressure to cool air the MAP sensor picks this up as does the lambda sensor as this will show a shift in CO as not enough oxygen to fuel ratio for optimal burning while the throttle is in the closed position (tick over). to correct this the ECU tells the Idle Air Control valve to open up to increase the oxygen levels, down side is it is still drawing hot air so keeps rising. Once the manifold has cooled down enough or enough cool air passes into the engine through driving it eventually corrects itself. or turning the engine off as this resets the IAC valve untill the ECU detects the temp and pressure changes again.

I found the solution to this is to draw cool air from as close to the front as possible, similar to the standard rover mpi air box or have an induction kit like this to draw air from as close to the grill as possible as the usual induction kit pipes only work when the car is moving. This one is on my mate’s mini and gives no idle issues even when the engine is very hot.

Posted Image

I made a similar one for mine to see if it was more the mini than the induction kit and I saw not idle problems, just need to finish the final version for the New Year and see how long it works for before it proves I am wrong lol :crazy:

hope that is of some help and sorry for the essay style reply!!

Edited by Jay3178, 02 December 2009 - 01:20 PM.

#17 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

Cheers for the effort Jay,

Id would of helped if i had an industion kit! the car is 100% standard. but i think there is somthing in ti about the engine drawing hot air etc!

Perhaps related or unrelated - is i have found that i dont see mt temp gauge rise much above the blue line! in response to this i am planning on testing/changing
- the coolant temp sensor (it will be a bugger to get too)
- the idle air temp sensor (the one in the air filter housing),
- the thermostat
- and while am at it the temp sensor thing which controls the aux fan!

Im not really getting the problem after a long run! moreover it can happen anytime! I popped in a nice new and clean airfilter yesterday morning and perhaps its too early to say (not to tempt fate) but its not happened since.

HAve you ever had problems with the forementioned sensors?

#18 Jay3178

Jay3178

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini & South Central

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Cheers for the effort Jay,

Id would of helped if i had an industion kit! the car is 100% standard. but i think there is somthing in ti about the engine drawing hot air etc!

Perhaps related or unrelated - is i have found that i dont see mt temp gauge rise much above the blue line! in response to this i am planning on testing/changing
- the coolant temp sensor (it will be a bugger to get too)
- the idle air temp sensor (the one in the air filter housing),
- the thermostat
- and while am at it the temp sensor thing which controls the aux fan!

Im not really getting the problem after a long run! moreover it can happen anytime! I popped in a nice new and clean airfilter yesterday morning and perhaps its too early to say (not to tempt fate) but its not happened since.

HAve you ever had problems with the forementioned sensors?

nope all my sensors are good, Lambda sensor replaced twice in 7 years everythig else clean and ok, i periodicaly put a spray type carb/sensor/ injector cleaner into the throttle to ensure i minimise any deposits and keep optimal running and clean the IAC valve piston so it works without sticking. which kinda pointed me to my above post as i was confident everything is working as it should be. and it happend to me at random to up till then, but may just be lucky at the moment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users