Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

Hi All

Just after some opinions really

long story short I couldnt drive my car for 6 months... had a friend driving this for the first three but for the latter three the car hasnt been driven properly.
I have had the car started every weekend without fail for about thirty minutes at a time just to keep her "warm"

Anyway.... just wondering what peoples opinions are on the work i might need to carry out before i get back driving again

Im going to obviously check all my levels etc fopr coolant and fluids. all electrics work but just for things like brakes that might have seized up a little or suspension components that need greasing?

I can grease all my nipples before i go back on the road and its parked only on the 2nd click of the handbrake but i take it off every week and drive a few metres forward and back again.... you might just say nothing and be carefull for the first few weeks.... which is fine by me!

Just want to make sure im not missing anything obvious

cheers

J

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,417 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Loved up Mini or what!

I'm not sure you'd gain much by starting a car unless it gets a bit of a run. The only issue I can think of is brakes, avoid relying on them too much for a few miles.

#3 powermadcoop

powermadcoop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:45 PM

of course its loved up! shes still clean too! and its outside as I dont have a garage!

Im going to give it a propper detail the week before I get my licence back. If anyone has ever heard of VXR mark then imagine that....... and divide it by about a thousand times as excessive!

Didnt know if it was worth rubbing the discs and pads down of any surface rust before going anywhere?

Its got no steering wheel on it too so its not going anywhere.

Ive got a little routine I do. get in....

test clutch and all gears engage and electrics before starting. start. crack on the hid's. rear screen demister. and heater. test indicators. test fog. test brake lights. test hazards. let engine warm up to temp and the thermostat has opened. handbrake off. move forwards. move back. hold revs at 2k for a few mins. make sure heat level doesnt move. all done >_<

might seem excessive but my car has been a real labour of love!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users