#1 Sony Crockett

Sony Crockett

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

Hi!

I think I need to replace the clutch on my MPI.

I´ve seen on the workshop manual, that after the cluth-flywheel is removed, I get acces to drop gears. So I´ll put a straight cut drops.

Any recommendation on this? I prefer a noisier/heavy duty drops...

Then I thought to put also a lightened flywheel. Does it make a big difference in acceleration?

I´d like to put also a quickshift kit but I don´t know if MPIs gearboxes are remote or rod change.

Finally, if somebody could tell me all I need to do this (shims, washers, gaskets...) I´ll be very glad.

I´ve never worked with this car so I´m a bit lost...

Thanks a lot!

David

#2 Cooper-202S

Cooper-202S

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

"I´ve seen on the workshop manual, that after the cluth-flywheel is removed, I get acces to drop gears. So I´ll put a straight cut drops."

Not exactly true, you will need to remove the clutch housing (also called the transfer case) to get to the drop gears as they live on the wet side of the casing and the flywheel and clutch live on the dry side. With the short engine and gearbox assembled your main problem will be setting the end float on the idler gear.
This is normaly done with the short engine (Block) off the gearbox and the transfer case dry fitted to it, not sure if this applies to roller drop gears where the idler has the bearing in the middle but is certainly true of the std straight cut idler.

"Then I thought to put also a lightened flywheel. Does it make a big difference in acceleration?"

Lightened flywheels for the MPI aren't readily available ATM but you can have the origional one lightened, lightening it will improve aceleration but it needs to be done carefully.

"Finally, if somebody could tell me all I need to do this (shims, washers, gaskets...) I´ll be very glad."

Your going to need a complete set of gaskets and some sealant if you split the engine and Idler gear shims, the cheapest way to set the end float is to dry build the case and gearbox with the old shims measure the float and work out which of the alternative shims you might need. Youwill need a second trasfer case gasket as these should only be used once, but its cheaper than buying a selection of shims

#3 Sony Crockett

Sony Crockett

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I´m afraid I´ll have to take the engine out to do all this... :lol:

What about the quickshifter? Which model will fit my MPI gearbox?

Thanks again.

David

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:42 AM

It will be a rod change, and don't treat it as a quickshift, it does not make the gear change any quicker, it just reduces the gear lever throw... Try and change gear quicker and you'll 'beat' the gearbox in more than one sense..

#5 Sony Crockett

Sony Crockett

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

You´re right.

Mini gearboxes seems to be very soft.

I´ll take care of it.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic