lornabuck

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

well heres a bit of an update!!

FOOTMAN JAMES: Wont touch me because of my age -22

Thats funny, im 17 and had my license for 3 weeks, modded mini etc, and got quoted £320 TPFT yesterday! Suppose its cause mines kept in a locked alarmed garage though... Have you rung FJ up? They should insure you.

I'd seriously suspect that's because they've made an error, your age shouldn't effect the risk of your garage being turned over. I'd check your details and the small print on your policy to make sure you are actually insured.

Lorna,

Could it be your postcode or other details?

it could well be my post code as its not a particularly affluant area of the country, but other details, homeowner, married, full time employment, no ccjs and all that ???thought they would go in my favour!!!????

#17 coventry_kid2006

coventry_kid2006

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local Club: Bournemouth Mini Club

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

Bell Insurance has always been good for me. Cheapest by about £400/500 fully comp. Might be worth a look.

#18 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,437 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Certain jobs attract a higher premium, mechanics for example.

I'm just saying it might not be just your age that means you can't get cover off some companies.

Insurance policies are underwritten with other policies, and the premium they pay will depend on the combined risk.

#19 lornabuck

lornabuck

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Certain jobs attract a higher premium, mechanics for example.

I'm just saying it might not be just your age that means you can't get cover off some companies.

Insurance policies are underwritten with other policies, and the premium they pay will depend on the combined risk.

Thanks for the advice, there must be something going against me for the classic policies as nobody seems to want me!! But never mind i will just have to settle for what i can get!!

Thanks for the help everyone!!

#20 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

You say you have only a provisional licence,may be best to lay the mini up until you pass your test and try again,you could also do the pass plus scheme to try and get a reduction as well.
Unfortunately insurance does seem excessive at the best of times no wonder some people don't bother!everybody told me it would go down when i reached 25yrs but i never noticed any difference!

#21 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

it shouldn't matter that she only has a provisional license currently. they'll know (if you tell them) that you're going for a full license insurance (for when you pass) \

i'm 20, provisional, Mini with many mods (including engine!) for 900 ish TPFT.

I keep it on the drive etc but it shouldn't affect it that much..

#22 george91

george91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:49 PM

I agree with minimat, its going t much easier to just use the driving instructors car while you learn, then once you pass then start using the mini, it will be much less hassel. :)

#23 jameslb101

jameslb101

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Local Club: Northavon Mini Drivers

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:55 PM

I'm 17 and driving a 1275 mpi (so under 15 years old). The best quote I could get was with i-kube, try giving them a ring but you will need a full license AND pass plus though.

#24 -scott-

-scott-

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:55 PM

Weird Footman and James wont insure you!

I am 17 with a Cooper 1275 and am with them . My policy i get Unlimited millage, Breakdown cover, £100,000 legal cover and £125 excess and that is £750 TPTF a year!

#25 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

2 things..

Some of you guys aren't reading what she said! shes wanting to insure the car on a FULL LICENSE. She has been learning already and has got the mini..

I'm on a provisional licence at the moment and I have temp insurance for a month until my test(which hopefully I'll pass this time!lol!) I am looking for quotes for when i get full licence.

!! And its not a lot of hassle. I used confused.com which was giving me silly prices but then a few seconds later an insurer rung me up and put me through to the nice people at Adrian Flux. Who insured me for the monies above..

Edited by Timtom, 04 January 2010 - 02:01 PM.

#26 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

Thats funny, im 17 and had my license for 3 weeks, modded mini etc, and got quoted £320 TPFT yesterday! Suppose its cause mines kept in a locked alarmed garage though... Have you rung FJ up? They should insure you.

is your insurance with Footman James?? if this is the case i will definately call them back!! think someone is yanking my chain!!!!

I'd seriously suspect that's because they've made an error, your age shouldn't effect the risk of your garage being turned over. I'd check your details and the small print on your policy to make sure you are actually insured.

Lorna,

Could it be your postcode or other details?

Nope, its all valid and in writing from FJ, they said they had a special offer on... They didnt actually say the garage had anything to do with the quote price, thats just me supposing its something to do with living in the middle of nowhere, not in a town/city. They asked all the usual questions and i told them im part of a club and of TMF. I didnt believe it when i first heard it, but there you go :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users