#1 Scruffs

Scruffs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hi Guys,

I’ve a thread a level up from here talking about dropping an injection engine into an older car. Nothing’s scared me off so far so I’m essentially planning the budget/hunt for MPi bits/a scrapped car…

I just had an ECU/Immobiliser question I’m hoping one of you injection regulars could please help me out with…

I understand that the MPi MEMS ECUs are matched to the alarm ECU and it simply ain’t gonna play without the alarm ECU giving it a coded signal – i.e. simply grounding an ECU pin won’t make it run…

I understand my options are to either

(A) – get the fob, Alarm ECU and MEMS all from the same donor vehicle or

(B) – sack off the immobiliser by getting a dummy alarm ECU and get an uncoded ECU (link is SPi but I imagine the theory is the same?)? Are these available for the MPi? How much for? Can anyone give me some more info on this please?

I’d rather keep the immobiliser if possible. I'm not planning on using the an alarm yet though.

Thanks guys

Al

#2 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hi Al,

The thread you linked to in section B is mine!

I didnt get my car working in the end - sold it as non runner, but anyway, the people selling the alarm / immobliliser bypass unit is minimail:

Minimail

They list 2 bypass boxes, but state for Spi, but they say these are for YWC10208 or YWC104040 - these are the part numbers off the alarm box itself.

HTH
Ryan.

#3 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

Paul Raynes - of PRAutomotive. He's got everything you could need for MPi - Well, at least, he really came through for us when we put an MPi in my 1986 city! I'm not sure how active he is at the moment, though - He's a very busy man, lol. But he's still the one I'd go to for parts, first off!

We ended up getting a full MPi ECU/Alarm/Fob setup from him - We didn't realise that this was an issue before we started! D'oh!

If you need any help, just drop me a PM if you like - It's a very worthwhile conversion, in my experience. My mini's infinitely better with a rebuilt MPi engine - I absolutely love it.

:thumbsup:

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

Hi Al,

The thread you linked to in section B is mine!

I didnt get my car working in the end - sold it as non runner, but anyway, the people selling the alarm / immobliliser bypass unit is minimail:

Minimail

They list 2 bypass boxes, but state for Spi, but they say these are for YWC10208 or YWC104040 - these are the part numbers off the alarm box itself.

HTH
Ryan.

These little boxes do not bypass the ECU code system :thumbsup:

#5 Scruffs

Scruffs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:59 AM

Cheers for the replies

OK so if those bypass boxes exist for the MPi (which I don't see on minimail?) then I'll need to get a dumb engine ECU also, right?

And Bean you can definitely expect a PM just as soon as I stop trying to post on here, refill a printer and make mexican condiments at the same time!

Al

#6 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: does here count :)

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

You can use any MPi ECU + Alarm ECU and Fobs providing they all match.

It does not have to be the one that came from the donar cars engine.

The Mpi Alarm ECU is actually OK. You can get it top operate Central Locking and also Flash the hazards (only on a post Jan 98 Alarm ECU)

I recently bought an alarm ECU and ECU from a scrapped car as I thought mine was faulty. Turned out to be a dodgie Engine loom on the car ;(

Mike

#7 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

Hi,
I have used the whole of the ECU/immobiliser/alarm/key fob from a 1999 sportpack cooper in my clubman estate and so far (other than the suspension do-nuts) I am delighted with it. I had to make up my own injection pump mount for the van type tank and that's all ok. The IACV was smashed on the the damaged car I dismantled and the inlet manifold was slightly distorted at the head joint. I replaced the IACV and trued up the manifold face and included some thin spacers under the manifold nuts. Everything is fine and we attended the IMM2009 from here in Orkney. There is a section on my site about some of the work involved in building it.

#8 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

Sme ecu repair companies such as the ecu doctor can modify ecu's to enable them to work without the alam,immobilisor if you send it to them,useful on all older cars with troublesome alarms or missing remote fobs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users