7 replies to this topic

#1 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:16 PM

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: im a novice at these things and im hoping someone can help. ive been told a mini im lookin at has a 1340 metro a+ angine in it or so he says!!!. is there any way of telling between a 1000cc and a 1340 cc. At the end of the day nobody wants to get con'd can anyone help? thanks

#2 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:19 PM

A quick drive would tell you wheather its a 998 or a 1340! :tongue:

other than that, I really dont know. :cry:

If you take a look under the car at the main exhaust body, it will be really skinny (1..75") if its a 998.

<|ben|>

#3 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:31 PM

nice 1 for that binge, only thing is he recons it will run for a few seconds then cut out he says its a problem when he installed the metro wiring but i cant see how that would make a difference?! i mean aint they running the same set up? this doesnt really bother me as im sellin the engine ( r1 rear engine project) but to be honest i want to to sell it to someone with piece of mind its a real 1340 as im not that sort of to^%ser to sell and not know! any ides?

#4 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:04 AM

As far as I know, you can tell the difference between a 998cc and a 1275cc (from which a 1340cc would be based on) from features on the outside of the engine.

However the only way to know the difference between a 1275cc and a 1340cc would be to whip the head off and start measuring.

THIS thread will give you the measurements you need. It's actually a 1341cc as stated in said link.

#5 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:10 AM

i spent hours looking for that pic the other day :cry: and i never found it

#6 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:24 AM

Have a look at the engine number. You could ideally do with taking the head off and having a decent look.

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:15 AM

First of all I very much doubt it's a 1340, but actually a 1330, which for some reason a lot of people insist on calling a 1340...

This is a 1275 bored to +.060" and using a std crank, and is a very solid reliable mod.

The quick way to tell a 998 from a 1275 engine is to look for the tappet covers on the back, it should not have any, unless it's a cooper S block in which case if it's been bored to +060 its f**ked anyway.

The head will also be of 12G940 casting ( visible between the 4th and 5th push rods )

But the only REAL way to find the CC is to measure the bore and the stroke.

Also, if someone can't get the wiring right, I would be sceptical of anything else..

How much does he want ( money wise ) and what's the car ?

Edited by GuessWorks, 21 October 2005 - 07:15 AM.

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:04 AM

I'm not sure why you would change to Metro wiring when changing an engine anyway!?

And looking at the exhaust isn't a reliaable way of telling the engine size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users