#1 just_st3v3n

just_st3v3n

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

hi,
has anyone put one of these engines into their mini yet???

#2 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

hi,
has anyone put one of these engines into their mini yet???

Not that I know of, probably alot better engines out there for the money aswell.

#3 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

As said theirs alot better engines. My mates as one and their just so laggy. My 998 has more beans. If you want to do it though then go for it.

#4 M1N1MAN

M1N1MAN

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

a bit of a funny choice never heard of that before i have seen many conversions at previous shows and been in a couple and id have to say my personal fav is the civic type r z cars minis.

#5 just_st3v3n

just_st3v3n

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

well instead of going bigger id like to go smaller reasons being:
1. cheaper tax and insurance
2. reliability
3. in no time there will be turbo/supercharger kits available for these type of engines
4. good mpg
5. just to be different :unsure:

im in the search for a daihatsu gtti engine to throw into the mini, its a 3 cylinder twincam turbocharged engine...
id put money on that the aygo engine is based on the gtti engine as daihatsu is now owned by toyota and these engines were known to be bulletproof like the honda's...
from what i read the aygo puts out 67bhp stock which is pretty much the same as a 1275 engine add a turbo :D

steven

#6 oli

oli

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

I'd say the Aygo engine is probably a cracker and probably shares some genetics with the Daihatsu engine. This is what Wikipedia says about the engine

The Toyota KR engine family is a straight-3 piston engine series, designed by Daihatsu, which is a subsidiary of Toyota. The 1KR series uses aluminium engine blocks and DOHC cylinder heads. It also uses multi-point fuel injection, and has 4 valves per cylinder with VVT-i.The engine is also exceptionally light with a 69KG weight with all ancillories. This is due to the nature of the applications and weight of city cars.

1KR-FE

1KR-FE used in Daihatsu Sirion, Toyota Aygo, Citroën C1 and Peugeot 107The 1KR-FE is a 1.0 L (998 cc) version built in Japan and Poland. Bore is 71 mm and stroke is 84 mm, with a compression ratio of 10.5:1. Output is 68 hp (50 kW) at 6500 RPM with 68.6 ft·lbf (93.0 N·m) of torque at 3600 RPM. Carbon emission levels are 109 g/km. This engine has been given the 2007, 2008 and 2009 International Engine of the Year awards in the sub-1.0 liter category

Oli

#7 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

well instead of going bigger id like to go smaller reasons being:
1. cheaper tax and insurance

Im not sure around tax, but im sure the insurance will increase. fitting a 998 into a 1275 can often be more expensive.

#8 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

I think any decrease in engine size for cheaper insurance will be more than cancelled out by the modification of the car with an engine swap? Tax I guess will depend on how the system works in Ireland.

Edited by mab01uk, 18 January 2010 - 07:18 PM.

#9 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

i know where theres a charade turbo diesel, i can have a look into it if u'r interested???
wouldnt an aygo bit a bit expensive now, unlikely to find one isnt it????

#10 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

I think any decrease in engine size for cheaper insurance will be more than cancelled out by the modification of the car with an engine swap? Tax I guess will depend on how the system works in Ireland.

the tax system here is poo!!!!
380 a year on my mini :D

#11 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

I often looked at the ex missus toyota yaris engine when checking oil etc.

It was the 1.3 VVTi engine which even in a heavy modern car was surpirisingly quick once the VVTi kicked in and once the aircon pump was lost along with the power steering pump it would leave a very compact 4 cylinder engine

I'd say if you want to go for it.

#12 danrock101

danrock101

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

the tax system here is poo!!!!
380 a year on my mini :thumbsup:

HOLY *POOH*

#13 just_st3v3n

just_st3v3n

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

daniel will ya have a look into that for me please?? ya have me number anyway :thumbsup:
the daihatsu turbo diesel puts out a bit less at round 50 bhp , but has been known for giving a whoppin 100 mpg which of course would be savage ... but i like sumn wit a bit of poke too :/

i worded it wrong at the start... i have 2 on going projects a clubby estate with a 1.1 engine, and then im completely restoring another mini which i have a ready to go 1 litre for or a 1275 that needs a rebuild.....
i could throw the one litre in and have the cheap tax and insurance and not too bad a mpg but the only thing that bothers me about it is the reliability, little things poppin up every now and again, rain, electrics, carburettor etc, i get these in my daily drive mini so am just looking for something a little more modern to put under the engine bay...
to rebuild the 1275 would cost near enough the same as getting a low mileage engine from a crashed car :P

il be patient and wait till i find the charade gtti engine , 100 bhp from a 1 litre!!

steven

#14 munkey26

munkey26

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

Ace Engine - very revvy and sounds abit like a Porsche.

You can get a supercharger kit for it as well;

http://www.tts-perfo...wnload/aygo.pdf

http://www.tts-perfo...x.php?cPath=509

#15 dezshearer

dezshearer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Local Club: mini-chat.co.uk

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:03 AM

£3400 for a supercharger, what's the point? If you wan't your ay'go' to actually GO buy a different car.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users