35 replies to this topic

#1 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

Does anyone know the spec. of a Japanese Cooper SPi?

I was looking at a P reg today, it had the SPi engine but with the MPi alternator (due to aircon), carpets, internal fuse box, steering wheel and airbag. Is this standard spec. or has it been converted to use MPi loom?

It also had 2 strange fuel regulators near the bulkhead passenger side and extra pipes going to the carb, a rocker switch near the ignition with a long flexy stretchy wire with Bosch on it, what's that for?

Cheers

#2 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:56 AM

Japanese SPi should be the same like all SPi cars in Britain (pre-96) but with the addition of the aircon. The position of the alternator is almost the same like the setup used in MPi engines, that is the alternator sits high to allow space for the aircon compressor below it.

Since the introduction of the MPi in 1996, things get a bit odd for Japan. They had the airbag, in-line fuses, MPi engine block (with distributorless ignition), etc. but retains the side-mounted radiator because of the need to mount the aircon compressor beneath the alternator. I am not sure whether the injectors are twinpoint or retained the single-point injector, perhaps Sprocket or someone else could shed a light on Japanese post-96 cars...

I am not familiar with the UK's registation system, what year is P reg?

Edited by Aria Aradhea, 19 January 2010 - 07:58 AM.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:24 AM

engine bay should look similar to this...

[attachment=94390:11072007044.jpg]

ps injections don't have carbs :thumbsup:

#4 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

P reg is 1996-97. The car did not have twin point injection but I am not sure about the block, I didn't look that closely and there were so many things squeezed in at the front i didn't look too closely at the block, i was more interested in figuring out what the funny regulators for fuel were!

The car had the heaviest duty HT leads i have ever seen, all with their own ground wires and a fairly large pressurised bottle next to the brake servo, is that the aircon gas? I am not sure if i have seen that before even on Japanese spec, looked more like a modification.

I should have got some photos really!

#5 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

the bottle should be the drier for the aircon system... as for the leads, I'm pretty sure it's a mod, but for the fuel regulators and pipes, some photos will certainly help.... :)

#6 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

Well I call it a carb because it's not really proper injection is it?!!

The engine bay looked like that but the spark plug leads were very different and it had 2 regulators as mentioned for fueling, i think it has had some mods done but i couldn't see where some of the extra pipes went onto the carb :)

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

The jap spec 96> cars use the MPi block, with the SPi injection manifold and accompanied with Air conditioning and a side mount rad. The ECU will look similar to an SPi ECU however, the distributor has gone and been replaced with a coil pack same as the MPi. Some were manual, but many were automatic.

Edited by Sprocket, 19 January 2010 - 09:31 PM.

#8 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

So does it have a bespoke ECU?

#9 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

IF you mean bespoke as in, only those cars had them, then yes

Its basicaly a Cooper SPi ECU with distributorless ignition

Edited by Sprocket, 19 January 2010 - 09:35 PM.

#10 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

There must be other differences though because the MPi has a lot more/different sensors?

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

There must be other differences though because the MPi has a lot more/different sensors?

Yes, the MPi injection manifold needs only one more sensor, the cam sync, which the SPi does not need.

It is a Cooper ECU with wasted spark ignition, nothing more. Well ok, maybe it has the AC and Auto transmission inputs, but thats it

Edited by Sprocket, 19 January 2010 - 10:45 PM.

#12 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

Ok, what about the loom? I take it based on MPi loom but with mods for the SPi throttle body?

#13 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:17 AM

The engine loom will be 'bespoke' rather than a re hashed MPi loom, the two are distinctly different, the SPi having the coolant temp sensor in the bottom of the manifold compared to the thermostat housing on the MPi, the Spi manifold has a manifold heater, the MPi does not, the SPi does not have the cam sync sensor but the MPi does, the Spi is a single plug ECU, the MPi is a two plug ECU.

The only thing that would be common with the two engine looms is the 13 way connector onto the body loom.

#14 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:39 AM

Ok, what about the loom? I take it based on MPi loom but with mods for the SPi throttle body?

Hi,
I don't know about the loom, but here is the circuit diagram for the MEMS on the Japanese SPI/MPI on page 18 of the PDF and the air conditioning on page 24.

http://www.theminifo...x...st&id=68240

And like Sprocket said, the diagram shows a single injector unlike the standard MPI. However, I believe that the A/C makes no difference on the ECU configuration. I have 1994 Japanese Cooper with A/C that came with an MNE101040 ECU. The ECU was replaced with an MNE101140 remanufactured in the UK by ATP and uncoded (no inmobiliser). The A/C still works fine, and when the ECU diagnostic tool is hooked up (SP ACR) I can operate with the tool the A/C relays. It appears that the ECU and the A/C get along fine. The ECU for the auto is different though.

I hope that helps,

Ivan

#15 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

Cheers!

Does that mean you need the ECU to control the air conditioning?

The reason I am asking these questions is that I have seen a Cat C car and may buy it to break for parts but i need to understand whether it is worth my while.

If the ECU is required to run the aircon then it will be difficult to sell the engine as is without it.

Also the wiring loom may be difficult to sell if it is so bespoke and wont really be much use on any UK spec cars.

I cant see that many Japanese spec cars being in the UK either.

Do you think it is best to leave it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users