Photo

Testing The Water.. How Much Is It Worth?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

I'm after a valuation for my 1275GT which is very standard and nearly all original. I barely use the car and can't warrant having two cars... the last few times I've driven it have only been to keep everything ticking over. And as the tax is up at the end of the month and the insurance is up for renewal, I'm thinking of either SORN'ing it and paying laid-up insurance cover, or, if I get the right sort of money, letting it go to someone who will make more use of it.

Basic info:
1980 Mini 1275 GT. Registered in Feb 1981 but they stopped making them in 1980 so this must be one of the last GT's made.
Standard, and original 1275GT engine and gearbox with approx 49,000 GENUINE miles on the clock.
MOT until Sept 2010
TAX runs out this month, but I would stick 6/12 months on if I were to sell
Some history with the car, various old V5's, MOT's, reciepts. The car was partly restored in 2004 to pretty much concourse standard and I managed to get old invoices and photo's from the people who did the work.
The car has been kept garaged for nearly all it's life.

Modifications:
Two spotlights on the front bumper which can easily be removed.
Mk2 rear lamps fitted along with under bumper reverse and fog lights. I have the original Mk3 lights to give with the car so this can be reversed.
Kenwood stereo fitted along with two 6x9 speakers which are hidden under a covered speakerboard which sits under the rear seats. All wired in to the proper standard (I did it!)
I think that's about it. No silly body mods have been made, the car still sits on the original 12" wheels (which had brand new tyres last year)

Tinworm status:
NO ROT!!
Bodywork is very good, there is one or two small bubbles at the top of the passenger side A panel and slight bubbling along the wing-scuttle seam. The top of the scuttle where it meets the windscreen is perfect. Same at the rear screen. The outer and inner sills are very good. The rear bins are absolutely perfect.

Bad bits:
I'll be as honest as I can.
The drivers seat base collapsed at the back, so currently there is a mis-matching drivers seat. I have the original seat so this could be repaired to restore the car to original as this is the original interior.
The fuel sender unit needs replacing - I can prove it is that that's faulty to the buyer, or buy a new one and fit it myself before selling
Rev counter sticks at zero until you rev to about 1500+, it them becomes unstuck and works properly. The rev counter is a solo part of the 3-clock setup so it wouldnt be a big job to replace
We replaced the rear valance last year and the paint doesn't quite match, but due to the positioning on the car you can't really notice. See pictures below.
There's a very small (10mm?) tear in the brown vinyl covering on the roof. This can be glued back down.
Boot lid seal needs replacing, not urgently, but it does leak a little bit of water. However there is no rot or rust whatsoever in the boot area.
The inside of the wheel arches could do with waxoyling, as the old underseal is chipping off. I am being a bit critical here though :shifty:

All in all this is a standard, pretty much all original example of a late 1275GT and is in great condition. You won't find many as original as this with such low, genuine mileage.

If the valuations I get are high enough then I will stick it up for sale but if they aren't as high as I hope for then I will simply SORN the car for a while until the prices rise a bit.

All input appreciated!! Questions welcome.

Chris.

PICTURES

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by yorkshirechris, 24 January 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#2 me madjoe 90

me madjoe 90

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

Looks like a verry nice car, i wouldent want to sell it. I have no clue what it would be worth thow sorry.

Good look with your valuations and sell if you decide to :shifty:

#3 slyoldfox2001

slyoldfox2001

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

valuations are one think but getting a sale is another.

if you ask me i reckon its worth something around the £3000 mark

#4 Minigirl

Minigirl

With Steve

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

yep i'd say the same
gorgeous mini hardly ever see any as original and nice as that worth every penny as well ;)

#5 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

Mate,from the moment you first got hold of her ive liked it,nice and original,i think she is worth a fair amount!!

#6 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

i think it would be worth every penny of £3000 maybe even £3500

but if you sell it, no matter how little you use it you will prbably regret it

#7 stevedx

stevedx

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Local Club: brighton mini club

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

dont know the value but had to say that is one beautiful little car!

#8 Goldie1275

Goldie1275

Brilliant With Her Baubles

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Local Club: Surrey Hills Mini Group

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

I'm thinking around that amount too to be honest. Nice clean and original. Paintwork is amazing for a white car! If i had the money I wouldn't miss a beat to buy it!
Good luck with the sale if yu do sell it.

#9 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Best place to sell this may be at a show imo.

I would put it up at £3250 and what I would accept would depend on how much I needed/wanted to sell it.

#10 G-baby158

G-baby158

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:05 PM

You been pulled for the black plates atall ?

#11 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the comments people. I've decided to renew the insurance and tax and see where we go from there. It would break my heart too much to get rid of him :(

You been pulled for the black plates atall ?

No, on a previous Mini I had which was a 1979 I also had the black/silver plates and I got pulled over for something unrelated and the copper didn't mention the plates.

Edited by yorkshirechris, 28 January 2010 - 03:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users