32 replies to this topic

#31 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

The handbrake problem is undoubtedly worsened by lack of maintenance, but the design is marginal. Modern handbrake systems work for upwards of 10 years without maintenance except occasional pad changes, if they are shared with the footbrake. A separate handbrake caliper will not even wear its pads significantly if used only for parking.

#32 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:05 PM

The handbrake problem is undoubtedly worsened by lack of maintenance, but the design is marginal. Modern handbrake systems work for upwards of 10 years without maintenance except occasional pad changes, if they are shared with the footbrake. A separate handbrake caliper will not even wear its pads significantly if used only for parking.

I don't know, I had loads of fun removing the seized pins on my 59 plate mazda 6, and it still doesn't lock the back wheels

#33 Itsjustanestate

Itsjustanestate

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

I continuously lost the handbrake on rallies due to fade and that was running minifins with front shoes and a brake bias valve so a bit more effort going to the back. I was going to go to home made disc set up but decided to mod the hub shoe levers by adding an inch to their length. The hand brake never failed me again even when my front metro vented 4pots running the old Mintex M155 compound pads had faded to the floor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users