#16 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

Had a problem with the bowden cable being directly in-line with the gearbox spindle & therefore not being able to attach it high enough to meet the linkage on the spindle(does that even make sense?) Anyway I made a few wedge shaped spacers to go between the nuts that attach the cable to mount on the zcars frame. This allowed the cable to sit at the right angle & therefore line up with the gearbox linkage.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   1.58MB   16 downloads

#17 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image

Edited by alowry, 23 May 2011 - 07:31 PM.

#18 J_AUSTIN_B

J_AUSTIN_B

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

I've been eye balling a couple of different options with the v-tech swap and I'm just trying to figure out which would be the better option for performance: keeping the engine up front with something from superfastminis or moving it to the back with a zcars kit. What do the experts think?

#19 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

I'm no expert & it depends what you mean by performance, but properly set up Zcars minis are known to handle particularly well. Why not give Chris at Zcars a phone & talk it over with him, he'd be happy to give you some pointers.

#20 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

Here's a few more pic's of recent progress. I got a full blackbird stainless exhaust system for about £30 on ebay, it couldn't be used in its standard shape as the zcars kit I have needs the exhaust to run around the side of the engine. I was however able to use most of it to make a new system. The primary lengths aren't equal but having spoken to an exhaust expert(F1 & WRC) i'm informed this may not make much if any difference.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Adam.

#21 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:58 PM

Didn't realize until the mounts for the silencer were being welded on that it's made of titanium. Hard to believe I got it all for so little. It did delay me for a while as I had to wait for titanium to weld it & a couple of little titanium blocks to tap & weld on for mini exhaust mounts to screw into.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 J_AUSTIN_B

J_AUSTIN_B

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

I'm no expert & it depends what you mean by performance, but properly set up Zcars minis are known to handle particularly well. Why not give Chris at Zcars a phone & talk it over with him, he'd be happy to give you some pointers.

Yea, I'll probably go ahead and do that. When I was talking about performance I meant that I heard that the front mount v-tech conversions had crazy amounts of understeer. I know that it would be easier (at least it seems that way) to put the v-tech up front, but that would suck if I couldn't use any of that new power in the corners! If I'm going to do it I might as well go for the best option and not just the option that is easier. Am I making sense at all? Basically what I'm saying is, If I were driving a mini v-tech conversion in an autocross, which would I be better off with--The superfast mini con. (front) or the Z cars con (back)?

#23 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:30 AM

@ J_AUSTIN_B - rather than continue to jack Alowry's thread, why not repost the question in Zcars General Chat? You might get more response there.

@ Alowry - top work there fella, I look forward to more updates to be build diary.

#24 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

@ J_AUSTIN_B - rather than continue to jack Alowry's thread, why not repost the question in Zcars General Chat? You might get more response there.

@ Alowry - top work there fella, I look forward to more updates to be build diary.

Not a bad idea cptkirk! I haven't driven either conversion so I'd really only be giving an opinion based on hearsay.
Great job you've done cptkirk, love the videos, put a big grin on my face. Would love to see your car used for the 'tv show' if it happens.
Adam.

#25 mikko

mikko

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

updates? its been a while

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users