4 replies to this topic

#1 Neilson

Neilson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

Right, I've just reassembled my mini after a rebuild. Everything was taken out, including the engine to do the body work. The engine has been left standard, just given a good service (filters, plugs, leads, oil, etc).
I went to start it up for the first time but it wouldn't fire up. The starter motor was working fine it just wouldn't go. I took one of the plugs out, but there was no spark. I then noticed the coil was very hot. The next minute it melted a tiny hole in the coil and some liquid was spurting out across the engine. I'm assuming this is some kind of acid from inside! I'm sure this isn't good! :thumbsup:

I know the coil is knackered now but I don't know if it was faulty before or as a result of something I've done on reassembly?

It's a 94 SPI

Help!

Edited by Neilson, 07 February 2010 - 01:02 PM.

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

I'm assuming this is some kind of acid from inside! I'm sure this isn't good!

Wow, wild assumption! >_< It's cooling oil, canned coils are internally cooled by an oil bath that flows around under gravity like many high power transformers tend to be.

How did you connect the coil and ECU back up? Are you sure that everything is as it was before?

#3 Neilson

Neilson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

I was only guessing what the liquid was. I never knew there was any kind in a coil.

When re connected everything I just plugged the ECU back and connected the 4 wires to the coil. 2 are female and 2 are male connectors so I'm pretty sure they're correct.

#4 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

I've got a recently new one off a 96 spi cooper i just broke, I PM'd you about it.

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:56 PM

4 wires? Are you sure you took 4 off the coil? I'm not that well educated about the SPi system but I'd expect 3 wires to fit to the coil. What colours are they? Are you including the supressor in that group of 4?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users