8 replies to this topic

#1 mini maniac

mini maniac

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:51 PM

Hey guys. Been a while since I was last on here! Had lots of stuff to do. While I was gone I have been thinking what to do with my 1992 mayfair. I have come up with an engine transplant. I'm thinking Rover K series but have no idea where to start.

First off, what size am I going for? What is the biggest size I can fit? I would much prefer not having to lengthen the front end at all as bodywork is my downfall lol.

Secondly, what subframe do I use??

I really don't have the foggiest when it comes to mixing around car parts, but given the right info I could turn out a pretty beefy little mini with the ideas I got stored in the noggen lol.

Cheers guys, any help would be highly appreciated.

Switz x

#2 DaveVader

DaveVader

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

http://www.16vminicl...read.php?t=8625

That's a pretty helpful thread over on 16v mini club.

The best K series would be the 1.8VVC which can reach a good 250BHP with the right tuning.
The most basic would be the 1.4 which is a good 100BHP as standard.

Got the choice of two gearboxes aswell, both with their advantages and disadvantages but one is geared for 13" wheels so would probably be ideal.

In reference to the extended front; if you're going with a fibreglass front end then you can get them as extended versions so you don't have to do it yourself. A lot of people go with the +90mm which doesn't look too bad to be honest.

Erm, that's about the extent of my knowledge on the matter.

#3 mattwho?

mattwho?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

i would go for 1.4 16v as it cheeeeeep and thers a guy on one of the forums with a turbo 1.4 16v running v fast

i want a 1.4 16v but cannot aford to get it fittid so i think me and vader gonna have to work on both cars together and get them done lol

allso have you had a look at other engines? i hear the swift gti is stonking in a mini

#4 DaveVader

DaveVader

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Swift GTi is very good for a small, cheap conversion (although I know even less about that)
As Matt said, the 1.4 is very good for the price and quite easy to tune. However, the more you tune it, the more insurance goes up so it could be a more wise investment to go for the 1.6 or the 1.8 to get the power increase from the stock engine without the insurance company stinging you for having a modified engine.
Either way, a K series has over 100BHP from stock with the most basic engine and 170 from the 1.8VVC.

Oh, as for subframes, Switz, the Metro subframe is a good route to go (need the 90mm extension on the front) but you can modify the existing mini subframe. This however really needs to be done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Now I really do think that is the extent of my knowledge on the matter.

#5 cooper_mark

cooper_mark

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub.com

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

i would go for 1.4 16v as it cheeeeeep and thers a guy on one of the forums with a turbo 1.4 16v running v fast

i want a 1.4 16v but cannot aford to get it fittid so i think me and vader gonna have to work on both cars together and get them done lol

allso have you had a look at other engines? i hear the swift gti is stonking in a mini

think this is the mini you guys are yapping about...
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
this is his build diary....
http://www.16vminicl...read.php?t=3208

Edited by cooper_mark, 18 February 2010 - 07:13 PM.

#6 Johneh

Johneh

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

You will want to get a 16v DOHC Mpi engine preferably, they come in various sizes and variations.

1.4 - 105 bhp
1.6 - 120 bhp
1.8 solid cam (non VVC) - 130 bhp
1.8 VVC comes in 3 variations 140 bhp, 160 bhp, and 180 bhp.

I believe all these engines have near on identical outer dimensions.

If your planning on running the standard K series engine loom and ECU, you will need the ECU, 5as (immobiliser unit) and keyfobs all encoded together, which they will be if you get them all from the same car.

You have two-choices of gearbox, the R65 used in things such as the metro and 100, or the pg1 used in things such as MGF and ZR, you can get lsd's for the pg1 for not a huge ammount of money, and straighcut gears are availible if you look hard enough.

Hope this is of some help, if you have any other questions on the engine side of things, just ask.

#7 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini Club forum

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:24 AM

You will want to get a 16v DOHC Mpi engine preferably, they come in various sizes and variations.

1.4 - 105 bhp
1.6 - 120 bhp
1.8 solid cam (non VVC) - 130 bhp
1.8 VVC comes in 3 variations 140 bhp, 160 bhp, and 180 bhp.

I've a 160vvc in my standard lenth roundnose with a pg1 and it was no easy task.

The 160vvc is the top spec rover/mg k series the above mentioned 180 is a kv6 engine as far as I know.

#8 Johneh

Johneh

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

Nope, the 180 VVC is a 4 cylinder like the rest of them.

#9 twiggy

twiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:23 AM

Take my word for it, the 160 vvc is QUICK even in a metro so in a mini it would be super fun :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users