33 replies to this topic

#16 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:07 PM

this is pretty much never going to be enforced really is it?
modifications to a car does not change its identity, any car enthusiast knows this
a mini with a turbo box is not a kit car, its a mini with a turbo box

all this means is that there will be more people out there who wont bother with an MOT because of said laws, therefore no tax and insurance
politicians etc dont see that eventually people will think 'F' it and just do what they want. its thier own country that will go down the *loo*

although the ticket idea where it has to be checked by qualified persons is a good one, to make sure the car is safe for road use dont we have MOT's??

#17 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

So how are they actually going to inforce this? or have i missed somthing? >_<

have a read of the volkszone topic and what happened to Andy Saunders

#18 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:23 PM

"This has got to be the most depressing realisation I've ever had regarding modded vehicle and the law"

from the owner of a very modified vw splitty

they are very worried over at vzi

#19 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

what happened to andy saunders, ive looked but didnt see it :)

:)

#20 CobraV8

CobraV8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

in New Zealand if you modify the car sufficiently you will fail your Warrant of Fitness (like your MOT). For modifications, you need to go to a registered certifier, who looks at all the mods, checks for strength and safety in the design and will issue a Certification plate which is riveted into the engine bay or boot of the car. Then... you can get warrants. It was a pain when it came in, and costs enthusiasts money, but I must admit it got a lot of dodgey cars off the road. Sounds like you guys will end up down the same path.

#21 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:47 AM

It a well established legal principal that you can't apply laws 'n regulations retrospectively, ask any expenses fiddling MP - or Brian Haw. The same principal is why you can still drive an old banger , without seatbelts, that puffs out smoke like Stephenson's rocket. I think it's actually been an issue since SVA was introduced so be sure any mods were done before then.

We done this one before : http://www.theminifo...howtopic=131387

#22 CobraV8

CobraV8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:00 AM

It a well established legal principal that you can't apply laws 'n regulations retrospectively, ask any expenses fiddling MP - or Brian Haw. The same principal is why you can still drive an old banger , without seatbelts, that puffs out smoke like Stephenson's rocket. I think it's actually been an issue since SVA was introduced so be sure any mods were done before then.

We done this one before : http://www.theminifo...howtopic=131387

agreed - in NZ they allowed owners of modified cars to fill out a declaration and have inspected for a period to avoid going through the certification process

#23 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

Going back to the late 80's i converted my MK2 RS2000 to run a five speed type 9 gearbox from a sierra. To conform to the insurance companies wishes i had to take my car to a garage to get the conversion inspected and then a headed letter from the garage stating that the conversion met current MOT standards and was fully roadworthy.

This modification involved moving the gearbox mounts back by 85mm adding 20mm spacers, fitting a MK3 Cortina speedo cable and that was it, nothing compared to what has now been mentioned but even back then if you didn't play the game and god forbid you had an accident your insurance would be invalid and you are screwed.

So where do you stand now with your modified bulkheads, have you declared your vehicle including all modifications to the body, what does your insurance company say. If you have declared everything and i mean everything and your insurance company grants you cover, they the insurees must be conversant with the latest legislation??? The whole thing sucks especially if everything has been seam welded properly etc and with no reduction in structural integrity.

I suppose now if your car has been previously modified it will be down to the MOT inspector to say whether its legal or does the responsibility fall fully on you the owner of the vehicle. What a can of worms.

#24 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:50 PM

the insurance company might cover you after you have told them about the mods but will the ask to the the IVA certificate before they pay out ?

#25 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

the insurance company might cover you after you have told them about the mods but will the ask to the the IVA certificate before they pay out ?

You would think then that if the insurance company you are using is aware of the latest legislation they would ask for the IVA certificate once you have declared all of your body modifications prior to issuing a certificate of insurance???

#26 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

buy asking for it after the clame would save them the money of a pay out

#27 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

I can see what Bungle means. I renewed my insurance a few weeks ago, and I had been planning to fit a removeable front very soon (next two weeks) so I told them that along with all the mods (I just need to inform them once ive done it), no mention of any IVA at all.

:dontgetit:

#28 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

Also I cant remember seeing in any of the topics, but is there a definate date before which you could argue the car was already moddified?

#29 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

we all know what insurance companys are like, if they can get away with out paying they will

this IVA thing might start cropping up

#30 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

Also I cant remember seeing in any of the topics, but is there a definate date before which you could argue the car was already moddified?

they just say the rules have been place for 27 years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users