Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Accelerator Cable Problem


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

    Super Mini Mad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

Mayfair II / 1275 engine, HIF44 carb
1990

This one give me quite an enigma. I've just bought an original accelerator cable for the HIF44 carb and fitted it to the Mini. For the first couple of days, it goes fine, the acceleration pedal action was smooth and all. But then, it started to feel a little bit hard to press the pedal like it was stuck somewhere, or dirt interfering with the cable action.

I dismantle the cable and found that there was no trouble at them, no frays, dirt or anything and when it's not connected it's smooth. I checked the carb connection, and the spring's smooth and no problem as well. The pedal, same condition, it's fine. Fitted it back, and it's smooth again. But, like before, a couple of days later it is difficult to press the pedal. It's gradually becoming harder to press.

But, if I wiggle or turn the plastic end housing or the casing itself, then it will be smooth again :)

I seriousy cannot find fault in the cable, casing, assembly, carb or pedal itself.

Does it mean I have to pour a little oil into the cable casing to smoothen the cable's operation?

I hope I make myself clear and understandable for you all...

Appreciate the answers you can give me...

#2 Pooky

Pooky

    Crazy About Mini's

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts
  • Location: Sunny Sussex

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

It coul dbe rubbing where the cable passes throught the bulkhead, right behind the accelerator pedal. I think there's supposed to be a little plastic ferrule that guides it through but mine disappeared and caused a jerky throttle.

#3 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

    Crazy About Mini's

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

You could wipe the inner cable with moly grease.

#4 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

    Super Mini Mad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

Pooky, thanks for the answer... I'll check for it. Although it seems it got through cleanly to the metal end of the casing from the bulkhead (the rubber grommet is there too).

bmcecosse, I'd wanted to try that, but afraid that dirt will get stuck on the inner cable. Will light oil (a 3-in-1) or even engine oil be able to do this too?

Thanks...

#5 Kam

Kam

    Straight to the Point

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Location: Hampshire
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Make sure the end clip is secured properly, and see if any part of the carpet is not interfering? Follow the cable housing back from the bulkhead to the carb as best you can and see if its getting trapped anywhere?

Though if it 'fixes' itself after you touch the clip then I would start there first?

#6 beentheunseen

beentheunseen

    Mini Mad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local Club: Notts about Minis

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

Make sure your engine earth strap is present and in good condition, if not I've heard it is possible for the engine to partially earth itself through the accelerator cable and the high currents generated will cause it to heat up and become sticky.

#7 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

    Super Mini Mad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:11 AM

Clip is there, secured properly with no carpets interfering the cable. The line was smooth, no sharp kinks of bends from the bulkhead to the carb too...

I'll check the engine straps while I'm at it aswell...

:P

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

    Crazy About Mini's

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,475 posts
  • Location: Carnforth

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

I would suspect the inner nylon liner is softening and sticking to the cable as well - the most common cause would be poor engine earths so the throttle cable acts as an earth path. Another, less llikely, cause could be it running too close to the exhaust and getting hot.

Edited by GraemeC, 12 February 2010 - 08:16 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users