#1 racheljones144

racheljones144

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

have rover mini sidewalk 1275i (1995)

After about 15 mins driving it miss-fires, then almost immediately back-fires and cuts out completely. If I sit and wait for 5 mins or so, it starts up ok. This happens intermitantly and is really annoying.

Basically i need help with trying to identify the problem. I have already replaced;

HT leads
Spark plugs
Rotor arm
Dizzy cap

and have a new coil and thermostat on order (coming tomo morn)

The connections to the ECU and the ECU itself have all been checked by rover deal and have the all clear.

I'm baffled!!!!!

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

#2 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

could there be an air lock in the fuel lines?

#3 racheljones144

racheljones144

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:28 PM

checked that - No. Funny thing is, it seems to be an over heating problem, but my temp gauge is at normal level

Could this be the coil or therm you think?

#4 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:57 PM

if its over heating it could be a number of things, but if its reading ok, then obv a sensor isnt working properly! have you had it on a diagnostics test?

have you checked the manifolds for cracks?

#5 Rented

Rented

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:09 PM

remove and test the coolant temp sensor on the underside of the injection assembly , or just replace if you cant get it tested . The symptoms as you have descried are in line with the problems it causes - over fueling thinking its still cold when warm * When it misfires and backfires* , then flooding the engine *Causing it to cut out* 5 minutes later once the fuel has "Cleared" it will fire back up until next time ..... Intermittent and very annoying - most people in injection models will experience this problem one time or another !!! =]

#6 racheljones144

racheljones144

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

Manifold is fine. Checked it today. Diagnostic not really an option. Think I will follow advice about sensor tho. Will let you kow how i got on. Thanks for all your input

#7 racheljones144

racheljones144

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

I bought one a while ago when i removed the head to replace gasket but it seemed sooo awkward to ge to that I ended up not fitting it. Will definately make to effort now though. Thanks very very very much. Your a life saver.

I might sell my sidewalk and go back to using my mayfair soon

#8 Rented

Rented

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

i find you can get to it from the underside of the car up if that makes sense ?

Fire the car up on axle stands and feed up the socket on some extension bars up following the manifold pretty much then remove it that way ( Make sure its not hot etc and watch out for the coolant when you remove the sensor , unless you drain the system first !!! )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users