#1 Hughesy

Hughesy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

Hi All,

I bought a 1997 mini cooper 1.3i in September and am having lots of fun playing with it to get it the way i want it. I have my new rear subframe and a full sports ride kit coming next week I am so excited!!!!

The probelem I am having is that after this is done and the interior is ripped out and replaced I want to get on to some engine mods but don't know whther I have an MPI or SPI as I have been told that they changed over in 1997!

Could anyone let me know how I can tell which one it is as I don't want to buy the wrong parts when fettling the engine.

Any help would be appreciated cheers.

#2 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

I don't know if there was a period in 1997 where cars were fitted with a mix of SPi and MPi parts, but the MPi's got quite a few "upgrades". Twin speed heater is the most obvious I can think of.

#3 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

If the radiators infront on the engine its an Mpi, if its at the side of the engine, then it'll be an Spi :)

#4 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

If the radiators infront on the engine its an Mpi, if its at the side of the engine, then it'll be an Spi :thumbsup:

Really i thought mine T reg 99, was an SPI, but it has the rad in front.....?

Thanks for the heads up if its true ;)

#5 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Ipod yours is without a doubt an MPI

1996 was the change over from SPI to MPI so chances are that yours is an MPI, the radiator is the biggest give away, if its unmodified layout and your radiator is on the front it is an MPI, but if its on the side, chances are its SPI, but apparantly, i dont know how true it is, but some of the very first MPIs had side mounted rads, so the other way to tell is if you have a coil, if you have a coil it is spi, if you have a coil pack, i.e a square lump with your HT leads coming of them then its an MPI, if its a traditional round coil feeding the distributer which then fires the HT leads, then it is SPI, surefire way to tell is to take the air filter cover off and have a look to see if you have a single injector its SPI, if theres 2 then its MPI

#6 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

Ipod yours is without a doubt an MPI

1996 was the change over from SPI to MPI so chances are that yours is an MPI, the radiator is the biggest give away, if its unmodified layout and your radiator is on the front it is an MPI, but if its on the side, chances are its SPI, but apparantly, i dont know how true it is, but some of the very first MPIs had side mounted rads, so the other way to tell is if you have a coil, if you have a coil it is spi, if you have a coil pack, i.e a square lump with your HT leads coming of them then its an MPI, if its a traditional round coil feeding the distributer which then fires the HT leads, then it is SPI, surefire way to tell is to take the air filter cover off and have a look to see if you have a single injector its SPI, if theres 2 then its MPI

It has a coil pack....MPI it is then.

Ipod learning somthing new everyday......:thumbsup:

Cheers

PS, I got no dought more numpty questions to ask at later in time LOL

#7 Hughesy

Hughesy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

radiator at the front so assuming for now its an MPI. Thanks for all the help fellers and sorry for the stupid question.

Until next time, cheers

#8 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

radiator at the front so assuming for now its an MPI. Thanks for all the help fellers and sorry for the stupid question.

Until next time, cheers

(Your not onya own) ;) :thumbsup:

#9 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

Of course, I knew I was forgetting something obvious - the front mounted rad... :thumbsup:

#10 Hughesy

Hughesy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

Thats the best thing aboout this forum, lots of people with laots of knowlege to help you out and lots of people like us to make you feel not too bad for asking the questions!!

So what are you running? now we both know they are MPI's!!! :)

#11 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: does here count :)

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:32 AM

I don't know if there was a period in 1997 where cars were fitted with a mix of SPi and MPi parts, but the MPi's got quite a few "upgrades". Twin speed heater is the most obvious I can think of.

I thought all MPi's had a twin speed heater. Was it not one of the plus's to buying an MPi.

As for the upgrades. yes there are lots to be done, but just watch as some are expensive :)

What you doing with the interiour? and what colour is it?

Mike

#12 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

I think they just halved the fan speed to create two settings on the MPi.... :D

#13 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

I think they just halved the fan speed to create two settings on the MPi.... :D

I halved it even more then, my lower speed dont work lol

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,432 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

Apparantly there are some Jap export MPI's with side mount rads that are finding their way back to the UK.

The absolutes would be SPI - dizzy, MPI-coil pack. The MPI also has a different block casting that the oil filter screws directly on to, next to the clutch housing.

#15 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

Apparantly there are some Jap export MPI's with side mount rads that are finding their way back to the UK.

The absolutes would be SPI - dizzy, MPI-coil pack. The MPI also has a different block casting that the oil filter screws directly on to, next to the clutch housing.

nah, the absolute would be 1 injector or 2 lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users