1 reply to this topic

#1 MiniBonkerz

MiniBonkerz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:55 AM

Im thinking of taking my boot back to bear metal with a wire brush attachment on an angle grinder as the paintwork is shocking if i bear metal it what primer do i use?

Chris

Edit Spelling

Edited by MiniBonkerz, 15 February 2010 - 09:56 AM.

#2 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:49 AM

If the boot is only scratched, i would not bare metal it. There is a level of protection applied at the factory and if it is still intact then better to just leave it be.
If there is loads of rust, then bare metal is the way to go.
Once you are in bare metal, I would treat the metal with a product called POR15 metal ready, you get it from www.frost.co.uk. It will give a chemical coating similar to zinc which is like galvanising, and also etch the metal.
After that, just use a 2k primer, or cellulose spray cans if that's your choice.
What ever you do, do not leave the metal exposed for more that half a day as it will start rusting within minutes of you exposing it.
If you don't want to go down the POR15 route, then apply a zinc based etch primer and then standard primer on top.
Remember also that primer is porous and will let water through tot he metal, so try to keep it all dry and get it top coated asap.

Hope this helps
cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users