18 replies to this topic

#1 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:20 PM

Hi everyone, i have just got a moddified 998 engine and it has a 65DM4 electronic distributor and i was wondering how to set it up. The two wires coming out of it are white and white with a black line down it. At the moment i have the white wire going to the live side on the coil and the black and white wire going to the negative side, is this right?

Also how do you set the timing up etc as i am only used to points?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is the only thing holding me up starting my engine. Thanks, Evan.

#2 Mart8V

Mart8V

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:40 AM

Hi Liam,

You will need a permanent live feed from the fusebox. There is a wiring diagram on here somewhere (can't find my copy- sorry!) which will help. Did the same conversion and once wiring was in place was a simple job to get going.

If I manage to find my copy of the diagram will post it in later.

Good luck,
Martin

#3 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:51 AM

If you could find your copy of the wiring that would be of great help. Where would the permanent live feed go to?

Edited by 1977 Loud_Mini, 19 February 2010 - 12:51 AM.

#4 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

You will need a permanent live feed from the fusebox.

Nope you need a live when ignition is on feed from the fusebox

The two wires coming out of it are white and white with a black line down it.

The white is (should be) a white with yellow line down it. Connect this white/yellow to the coil '+' as well as a new wire from the "live when ign on" fuse.

Then connect the white/black wire to the coil '-' and that's it!

HTH,
Dave

#5 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

Oh rite so i need another live coming from the fuse box. The engine was firing when i had it connected the way i said previously. Altogether i had 3 wires, one live coming from the harness and the other two from the distributor?

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:03 AM

You've got it wired correctly but you will need the correct coil for the dizzy - not the one you used with points. Apologies if you already have, mentioned "just in case". - as long as the live from the loom wasn't the pink/white ballast wire.

As far as timing goes, you can't really time it statically: line up the timing marks at a few degrees before tdc & turn the dizzy to roughly centre the rotor arm and corresponding dizzy cap terminal. That should be close enough to get it started, if not try "tuning in" the dizzy by turning it slightly while you crank the engine. Once it's running you can use a timing strobe.

#7 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:06 AM

Oh rite so i need another live coming from the fuse box. The engine was firing when i had it connected the way i said previously. Altogether i had 3 wires, one live coming from the harness and the other two from the distributor?

one wire from fuse box from the live-when-ignition is on fuse goes to the coil +
the white/yellow wire from the dizzy goes to the coil +
the white/black wire from the dizzy to the coil -

need the 12v coil GCL143 (LUCAS DLB 198)

#8 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:07 AM

I didn't realise that i needed a different coil. I have a few in my garage but am fairly sure they aren't for the electronic type. The car did fire a couple of times and nearly run with the coil i used for my points distributor, i just thought the timing etc was out?

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:18 AM

It'll have a lot more resistance. GCL143, or an equivalent, is the one you need. I don't think the 65dm4 was ever standard eqpt on a 998 - see if you can spot an ID number on it that you can look up to get the actual advance figures.

Use resistor plugs with a 35thou gap.

#10 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:20 AM

Ok thanks Ethel i will try and see if i can get one of the mensioned coils and see if i have any luck starting it then.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:28 AM

If you want to save a few quid you might just find one on a K series engined scrapyard Metro or similar - dizzy has the same amplifier "black box".

#12 markbarnes53

markbarnes53

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

i followed this yesterday and now have a spark.

Attached Files

#13 1977 Loud_Mini

1977 Loud_Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

Have now sorted the distributor and et it up accordingly with a strobe light. I still used the points coils and it runs perfectly. Also i didn't make up a live from the fuse box as i already have a live coming from my wiring harness as it went the coil for my points distributor. Thanks for all the help everyone.

#14 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:36 PM

I know this is an old topic, but I found it whilst checking on the connections for my distributor.

I have the car now running, whoopee!! First time it has been running for more than 2 years.

All appears fine but after 15 minutes of running, I switched it off and checked a few things over, the coil a DLB 105 was quite hot, any ideas why

#15 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:35 PM

They usually run hot, what I'd do is check the resistance of the low tension circuit with wires off, compare this to the other coil that you had fitted.

Is the car ballast ignition?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users