#1 Mini_Chris

Mini_Chris

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hi Guys,

I've been out of the Mini scene for nearly 10 years - my last Mini being a 1275GT - but my recent acquisition of my Grans old Metro has spurred me to seek out a Mini again.

I've just been looking at a local 1999 MPi with 47.5k on the clock, cream half-leather interior, standard spec as far as I can tell. The problem is that there are some fairly nasty looking rust patches and a couple of holes on both sills and a hole in the off-side floor quite close to the inner sill. There are also signs of rust on the door-end of the a-panels plus a small patch on the off-side rear wheel arch (inside the boot). I had a poke at the wheel-arch rust and it didn't give way or anything so I think that's just superficial - for the moment.

Does anyone know if these late Minis were prone to more rust than usual or is this just an unfortunate example? If there's rust on the outer a-panels is it likely that something more serious might be hidden behind? What kind of price should I be looking at paying for it (if I'm brave enough to deal with the corrosion)?

Many thanks.

Chris

Attached Files

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

Have a prod at the scuttle... MPi's are notorious to rotting unless they have been looked after ( which is rare )

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:30 PM

As for value, would need to see more pictures, but from those above, there's no way it'd pass an MOT as is.. basically get it as cheap as possible because you're going to have a lot of bodywork to fix... or a lot of money to pay out...

If the initial asking price begins with 3 or above ( and that's not 300 unless you're really lucky ) then laugh and walk away as there's absolutely no point in continuing a conversation with them..

Begins with a 2 then there's potential for negotiation, but you need to get it for less than 2...

my feeling is, without seeing the rest of the car, somewhere between 1 and 2,

#4 Mini_Chris

Mini_Chris

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:32 PM

Have a prod at the scuttle... MPi's are notorious to rotting unless they have been looked after ( which is rare )

Assuming the scuttle is dodgy - is it worth bothering with or should I just wait for a GT?

#5 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

Depends if there's anything holding the scuttle on!!

Later minis love to rot!!

#6 Mini_Chris

Mini_Chris

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

As for value, would need to see more pictures, but from those above, there's no way it'd pass an MOT as is.. basically get it as cheap as possible because you're going to have a lot of bodywork to fix... or a lot of money to pay out...

If the initial asking price begins with 3 or above ( and that's not 300 unless you're really lucky ) then laugh and walk away as there's absolutely no point in continuing a conversation with them..

Begins with a 2 then there's potential for negotiation, but you need to get it for less than 2...

my feeling is, without seeing the rest of the car, somewhere between 1 and 2,

The asking price is 1.8 but they've been open to an offer around 1.5. I might try 1.3 given what you've said. Do you think the hole in the floor is patchable or would it be an entire floorpan?

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

the hole is an easy fix, you'll be removing the sill anyway as that looks fairly tatty... assuming you can weld...

At least the owners are being realistic about its value, I've seen horrors which are pitched at over double that... and the owners are adamant that it's worth £3500...

I'd honestly pitch in about 1k and see where you end up.

#8 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

Do the deal quickly, it appears there is a growing business in buying these to break. Any of the breaker boys will see that at £1200 all day long, regardless of corrosion.

Also if the scuttle is rusty give the top dash rail a twist, once that and the inner rail came away in my hand! Warning signs are delaminated dashboard and the radio / centre dials are U/S.

Mechanically check second gear for bulk ring wear and the radiator fan running consistently

#9 minispriteman39

minispriteman39

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

£1000 pound top whack you will have to spend far more than you think might as well find a good mini cheaper in the long run unless you can do the work yourself

#10 Mini_Chris

Mini_Chris

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to see it again on Wednesday so I'll be sure to check everything out.

Unfortunately I can't weld to save my life so it would have to be down to the local garage for the sills and floor. I'm thinking that if I can get it for about 1k then spend about 600 notes on it it'll be worth about 2 or 2.5 which should be enough for a GT. What do you think?

#11 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

Get the job priced up properly first!!

You'll be surprised how quickly the costs mount up.

Its a metallic car so any bodywork repairs will have to blended in, sometimes its easier to just paint the entire car.

#12 Mini_Chris

Mini_Chris

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

Get the job priced up properly first!!

You'll be surprised how quickly the costs mount up.

Its a metallic car so any bodywork repairs will have to blended in, sometimes its easier to just paint the entire car.

What kind of price do you think I'm looking at Seamus? Two outer sills, the hole in the floor and potentially both a-panels?

Cheers.

Chris

#13 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

that is a mine field oh so often outer sills require work on the inner sills, jacking point and floor pan, as a rule of thumb allow £300 per side for sills TO BE DONE PROPERLY with standard width sills. £70 labour for each A panel presuming the panel behind is serviceable.

#14 Mini_Chris

Mini_Chris

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

All good guys - I've got it for 1350. I've contacted a local club to see where is a good place to get the repairs done. Somerford Minis look pretty good but are a little too far for me to go.

Although this is slightly off topic - does anyone know of a decent garage in the Worcestershire area?

Many thanks again.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users