#1 emmaandaj

emmaandaj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hi All,

Im looking at buying a 1999 MPI Sportspack for my wife to use as a run around. A friend has one that they are thinking of selling and has said we can have first refusal.
They have had it since new:
Sill rusted one side
Rear arch rusted through
Both A panels rusted
Rusted round both headlights
Oil leak on engine (rocker cover i think)
Arch hanging off

Any ideas what i should be offering?

Cheers Andy

#2 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

Look around windscreen rubber, around bottom mainly. It'll more than likely be gone there too. Around the £1800 mark if it's untidy (especially with front wings in poor state), for a tidy one looking more around £3500 to £4500
Dan >_<

Edited by mini-man-dan, 22 February 2010 - 05:55 PM.

#3 minispriteman39

minispriteman39

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

if its rusty around front scuttle as well i would not pay more than £1000 its not worth any more it will cost fortune to fix and you are still left with a mini thats done high milage you can find a really rust free well almost rust free mini for £2500 if you look hard enough.

#4 emmaandaj

emmaandaj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Assuming the scuttle and inner dash are intact im very interested in the car. Can anyone give me a ball park to have the following panels replaced and painted as i have no idea!
1x inner and outer sill
1x rear arch
2x A panel
2x panels around lights

Cheers Andy

#5 MiniBonkerz

MiniBonkerz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:33 PM

paid £3900 for mine in alot better nick

#6 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

Have you got a link to ad or pictures?

We really need them to give a proper valuation and not just finger in the air stuff!!

Rust like that can be a minefield, you could end up with a £3.5k bill by the time the jobs done, check out the doors/door steps.

The rust under the headlamps means the front end will need replacing, chances are that theres gonna be hidden rot under it as well.

If you've got to pay someone else to do the work then its simply not worth it, to do the job properly will be expensive. Its better to spend the money at the start and get a better base and look after it.

The current market seems to suggest that an MPI is worth £1k regardless, this may be true if you're gonna break it for spares however if you need a car to use then it may be better to look at an earlier model.

My value would be around the £800 mark(unseen)

#7 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:31 AM

I really wouldn't consider buying a later mini with all that repair work needed that you can see. Tip of the iceberg. Can of tinworms. Bottomless pit. Spending money just to keep up, never mind restoring it, unless you do all the work yourself and are a serious successful scavenger. I would buy an honest shell and spend my dosh on that.

Er, yes, Mrs T has just bought a 97 Cooper Sportspack. It's a huge gamble. We shall know more on Monday when the deep probing begins. I promise to eat humble pie if it goes pear-shaped.

Good luck with your project, whatever it turns out to be. :D

#8 emmaandaj

emmaandaj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

Hi,
Went and had another look today. Found slight rust on the scuttle that looked like surface rust, unfortunately i found rust on the inside behind the dash panel! Every panel on the front of the car is rusty! The floor was wet with rusting on the floor. The sill has got much worse since i last looked. They know very little about minis and were looking for around 3k which for a really smart cooper with slight signs of rust is understandable-ive explained that unfortunately the slight rust is actually the beginning of extensive rot! I think they will hang onto the car as it worth more to them at the moment than i can offer.

I really love the sportspack coopers. Ive looked on Rutland mini's site-there is a good price guide to 2000 coopers that seems on par with everyones estimates of what i should of offered for the car. Ive added the link below:

http://www.itsamini.co.uk/values.htm

Im looking for one that falls in the "average category" around £2000-£2500 mark- but have never seen any cars priced accordingly??? Where is the best place to look?

Thanks Andy

#9 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

That's a useful-looking link -- thanks. Maybe the wise ones on tmf would care to check it out for accuracy (the bit on the history of the mini was written 10 years ago).
Sounds as if you've got the hang of this mini buying thing so if as you say you really love the Cooper Sportspacks then go for it.

Edited by Teapot, 06 March 2010 - 11:50 AM.

#10 wainesworld

wainesworld

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:09 PM

Bit obviouse but have you tried pistonheads?

#11 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

(the bit on the history of the mini was written 10 years ago).

"HISTORY" .. does not change (when was the last Classic Mini produced? ... 11 years ago??)

Regards

SoG

OR AKA

David Briant T/A Rutland Minis

WEB: www.itsamini.co.uk

Edited by Senile Old Git, 06 March 2010 - 08:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users