16 replies to this topic

#1 crossy71

crossy71

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

Ive just attempted to insure my mini with footman james after being giving me a quote at bingley hall with all my mods declared at a very impressive £450.
But the woman who was doing the quote for me just now said they cannot insure it because they only allow a 10% power increase and the stage1 kit is quoted at 20%. Its only a 998 that maxes out at around 75mph.

Has anyone else insured there car with them and come accross this problem?

Cheers
Joe

#2 AlexP

AlexP

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

Just phone then up again and hope you get another operator. No two ever seem to tell me the same thing. Just make sure you get any quote sent to you in writing - either email or post.

good luck!

#3 Goldie1275

Goldie1275

Brilliant With Her Baubles

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Local Club: Surrey Hills Mini Group

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:08 PM

Just phone then up again and hope you get another operator. No two ever seem to tell me the same thing. Just make sure you get any quote sent to you in writing - either email or post.

good luck!

or just get a quote number, they keep all phone calls on record so they have to honour whatever they have said they will insure yu for. (we had an instance with insurance where one guy told us one thing, we rang back up and were told that was complete rubbish, but they had to honour the first quote, which we got a number for!)

#4 zebidee

zebidee

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

Im insured with them and haven't heard anything about this on my 1275 stage 1, however I first started my policy almost 4 years ago, and they were taken over last year by a larger company.

#5 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Im with them, my Mini is declared with my 998 stage 1 kit. When I listed mine, all they wanted to know was what additional BHP the kit produced, I worked it out and it was something like 8 I think?!

#6 skaterava

skaterava

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

Age matters a lot. I'll be buying a Stage 1 soon, I'm with Footman James, 19 years old, fully comp policy, limited to 6000 miles per year. When i first took out the policy the operator told me all my current mods (wide wheels etc) didn't make my premium or excess go up. I'm just hoping they'll be as lenient when i ring up and tell them my Mini's had a power boost.

#7 Deev

Deev

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

Footman James only charge me 190 quids a year for my Cooper with Stage 1...

Then again I am an old fart these days >_<

#8 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

Just renewed my insurance, £352 TPFT, im 21 in a week >_<

Although apparently it doesnt make a difference to the price if your car is garaged, which I was surprised about!

#9 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

They only seemed to want to know everything I had done, no mention of power increases. Just renewed it two weeks ago, came to £129.

#10 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: nein

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

I just did an online quote and it was like 1200 fc! eeek i will be a new driver though if i pass to next month lol though im 29.

I have been on road for like 12 yrs on a motorbike but i guess no car insurers take that into account really, even though
i think my road sense/awarness is better than most car drivers i see on roads lol!

I know first year is going to be expensive best i got so far is off direct line! 600 fc.

#11 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

To be honest, i've heard if you do make minor upgrades, then have an accident, you can claim the car already had those upgrades before you bought it and you believed they were standard. That's with some luck, some illegalness and no sight of receipts for those upgrades or fitting them.

I'm tempted to do that. It's not fair that i should pay out the backside for some cretinous chav who thinks his awesomeness is directly correlated to how hard he presses the loud pedal.

Bunch, that profile picture is distracting to say the least.

Edited by skaterava, 24 February 2010 - 01:58 PM.

#12 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: nein

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

To be honest, i've heard if you do make minor upgrades, then have an accident, you can claim the car already had those upgrades before you bought it and you believed they were standard. That's with some luck, some illegalness and no sight of receipts for those upgrades or fitting them.

I'm tempted to do that. It's not fair that i should pay out the backside for some cretinous chav who thinks his awesomeness is directly correlated to how hard he presses the loud pedal.

Bunch, that profile picture is distracting to say the least.

ive heard same in bike insurance, depends what mod is i guess, for me on mini there will be wheels and seats so nothing that will make go faster, of course if i dont declare them then i wouldnt expect to claim for them!
I would really like to get an agreed value to!

yea it is shall i take it off? lol

#13 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

yea it is shall i take it off? lol

....you don't have to >_< i'm surprised Admin have allowed it, being a family site an' all :)

#14 joecowan

joecowan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

im on footman james. theyre great. i only had to pay 1200 fully comp( with european driving, breakdown cover, unlimted millage and ICE cover) from the day i passed my test. that with all my mods. (13x7 superlight, twin carbs, exhaust, arches ect)
BARGAIN

Edited by joecowan, 24 February 2010 - 04:55 PM.

#15 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

Chaucer, via Go Compare. 68 Quid. It pays to be old sometimes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users