AlexP

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

rsp:
1990:

When idling from cold (just after start) its very lumpy and hiccupy. When I press the accelerator the revs drop and it faulters, sometimes stalling... what could cause this?

#2 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

I's cold! Not enough choke being used. Is it ok when warmed up ?

#3 nigel

nigel

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:49 PM

rsp:
1990:

When idling from cold (just after start) its very lumpy and hiccupy. When I press the accelerator the revs drop and it faulters, sometimes stalling... what could cause this?

it happened to me a few weeks ago, turned out to be dash pot oil had run low / dry, very common problem and it does need topping up / checking regular.

#4 AlexP

AlexP

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:25 AM

Cheers for the replies,

It does this mainly when cold, but when warm, it only seems to run correctly when over 3k rpm. Below that it just seems very rough and low on go.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,050 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:33 AM

Not enough enrichment when old, i.e. needs more choke, and possibly still too lean when warm. In this weather it's not unusual for the engine to run colder, so it needs a bit more fuel, or you could partially blank off the grille with a piece of tin-foil to get it to run warmer. Anyone remember the old 'rad-blinds' which could be adjusted from inside whilst on the move to bring the temp up more quickly and make a car run at the correct temp even in Winter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users