34 replies to this topic

#16 greggy50

greggy50

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

With those smaller subs could they be mounted on the rear shelf instead?
As a couple of those may be ideal for me to give it a bit more bass lol

#17 enJAY

enJAY

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:25 PM

What about kick boards? and there's those boot kits?

#18 mike174

mike174

BH2N Big Cheese

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

i was planning on just buying a kick board / speaker board to go under the rear seat enJAY

#19 daveholman

daveholman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

With those smaller subs could they be mounted on the rear shelf instead?
As a couple of those may be ideal for me to give it a bit more bass lol

You'd surely then have to create some kind of enclosure on the underside of the parcel shelf which would be a lot of work to get round the fuel tank, let alone fit and glue into position. I know there are enclosures available for speakers but I'm not sure they'd have a big enough capacity for subs.

Edited to say: If anyone's interested I worked out that the space under the rear seat would give an enclosure volume of around 6.2 litres based on using 20mm mdf. JL Audio 6.5 inch subs list just under 4.3 litres as ideal size.

Edited by daveholman, 04 March 2010 - 05:38 PM.

#20 mike174

mike174

BH2N Big Cheese

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

Interesting to know the volume under the seats. Does any one have any opinions on the yellow kevlar subs in the ebay link posted?

#21 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

You'd surely then have to create some kind of enclosure on the underside of the parcel shelf which would be a lot of work to get round the fuel tank, let alone fit and glue into position. I know there are enclosures available for speakers but I'm not sure they'd have a big enough capacity for subs.

I know there not massive enclosures but we do offer speaker enclosures that can be mounted under the parcel shelf: CLICK ME

#22 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:30 AM

There are also the Tang Band 6.5's that a guy on here used. He managed to get 4 under the rear seat (much like roofless and his awesome JL install). These are far cheaper than the others:

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=264-832

They ship to the UK also.

#23 skaterava

skaterava

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

There are also the Tang Band 6.5's that a guy on here used. He managed to get 4 under the rear seat (much like roofless and his awesome JL install). These are far cheaper than the others:

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=264-832

They ship to the UK also.

now these look tempting :) compact, and a decent price. There's just one thing though. 50W RMS sounds a bit...weak?

#24 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

yeah 50w rms is abit poor
and quite expensive for the quality

125w rms - 250w max 6.5 inch subwoofers -> 2 pairs for £60

bit better :blink:

think ill be going for this for abit more of a kick withouth the JL pricetag :-

#25 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

I've decided to save up, and buy a pair of 6x9 subs. If i make enough money this month, maybe i'll buy Genesis P69's :blink: I was looking over my Mini today, and realised pretty much everything i've bought for it (minus the Stage one kit and head unit) has been on the cheap. So for once, i'll splash out a bit and buy some quality parts :-

#26 Watso

Watso

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Wttage doesn't mean a lot with these guys. In any case, at this end of the size scale, multiples are everything. Bear in mind that the surface area of a pair of Genesis P69's are only just nudging that of a single 10" 'normal' woofer.

Also might be worth factoring in the sensitivity of them - how easy it is to drive the sub.

Just a thought. Check out a post by a bloke going by the name of ROE. :thumbsup:

#27 WillMini

WillMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:44 PM

I have the tang band 6.5s under my rear seat. I have 2 of them in a ported set up. I think they sound really good. If you look at the reviews people seem to love them. They are actually built really nicely, and if you search the internet you will find nothing but people raving about them.

Edited by WillMini, 10 March 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#28 tvrdave

tvrdave

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

I have made a kick board and mounted 2x fosgate 6x9's isobarically under the rear seat. i.e one speaker behind the other. I then use the low pass filter built into an alpine V12 amplifier to just run them as bass units. Being an isobaric setup you can run these speakers quite hard. The kick board sticks out about an inch but doesn't cause any problems as your feet don't go near it anyway. It doesn't give earth shattering bass like you'd get from a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer but it is very respectable and gives a good rich and deep sound. I use a Nakamichi CD tuner driving 2 x 4" speakers in the dash, where the vents were, then another 4 channel V12 amplifier driving 2 x fosgate 6.5" on the rear deck and 2 x fosgate 5.25" in the front doors.

Dave

#29 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4cee22ec74

Are these any good?

EDIT: or this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item414db02d99

Edited by skaterava, 12 March 2010 - 05:56 PM.

#30 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

those lanzars look intriguing
just wondering what they run on rms
more the better :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users