#1 Bergy

Bergy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hi

New to the forum as I'm looking to get back into Mini Ownership.

I've seen a 2000 Mini Cooper Sport SI, red with sports pack, mileage is around 50,000 and I'm going to approach the owner with a view to making an offer.

It's definately a project car, it has serious rust on most panels and an untidy interior. The engine runs well and gearbox seems ok too. But this will need a lot of work, probably a complete strip down and re build.

I will get some pictures up when I can, but what sort of ball park should I be offering for a mini of this age and in this condition?

I have experience in such projects but have done older minis, so I'm assuming this one will have a lot more electrical systems, ecu etc. Can these be troublesome to remove and re-fit? If so I may look to get an older "simpler" mini.

Thanks

Bergy

#2 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

Its not just the electrics!!

Late minis really(and I mean REALLY) love to rot!!

Stick some pictures up and a link to the ad if you can so we can have a better looksie

#3 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

I was going to say a grand, then I read the interior is tatty .... so make that £800.

If its usual Year 2000 rot it will be extensive, it may even include boot floor and rear wheel arches. We recently restored a Year 2000 Sportspack and we changed sills, patched inners, door skins, A panels, wings, front panel, bonnet, scuttle and inner dash rail. The customer we bought the car from was quoted £4,500 to restore it!

At that mileage the baulk rings in the gearbox may also be worn

#4 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

I agree, not much more than £1000 if it needs restoring, trouble is, the owner will always want a lot more!

#5 Bergy

Bergy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. I personally think it's worth less than that, it really is in a sad state. Mouldy steering wheel and seats, pool of water in the footwells etc.

I appreciate you really need to see some pictures so I'll try and get some up this week.

Can the electrics in these be a real pain? Any other things worth bearing in mind on this model of mini?

Cheers

#6 Bergy

Bergy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

Hi folks

Well the question ended up being slightly pointless as after approaching the owner, he gave it to me free of charge.

Thanks for the replys, I'm sure I'll see you all on various other threads and topics as the project gets going.

Cheers

Bergy

Attached Files

#7 tomsbluemini

tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC / Kentish

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:11 AM

You Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky thing. I wish that I could get a mini for free :)

Good luck with the restoration project, hoep to see a little bit of how you're getting on with it...

#8 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

Hi folks

Well the question ended up being slightly pointless as after approaching the owner, he gave it to me free of charge.

Thanks for the replys, I'm sure I'll see you all on various other threads and topics as the project gets going.

Cheers

Bergy

that will keep you busy!

#9 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

WOW!! A free Cooper Sport :lol: , Im not jealous at all lol :lol: