23 replies to this topic

#1 crocstarr

crocstarr

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:05 PM

hello everyone. i had a mini a couple of years ago and it was the best car i ever had. handling brilliant. fun to drive. however it was a nail and after a few hundred pounds i have up, i know i shouldnt have, she just needed looking after. anyway i want to buy a mini that i can develop and was considering putting a turbo engine in one. i know that the engine bay is limited so what sort of turbo engines would fit without much change to the engine bay. i know there are a lot of other changes to be made, but im just thinking about the size at the moment. also what sort of perfomance could i expect?below 10secs 0-60??i cant wait to drive a mini again!thankz chris

#2 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Local Club: skylineowners.com, turbominis

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:03 PM

metro turbo is almost a straight fit, if you still use the t3 turbo a box needs to be welded in the bulkhead, if you use a t2 i think you dont have to do this so no mods to the engine bay just the engine :grin: .

below 10secs 0-60??

i would say more like sub 6 seconds

#3 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:07 PM

Also some web sites for you to read through :)

clicky

clicky

#4 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:57 PM

You still need the turbo box witha T2.

You don't need a turbo box if you use a Mirage manifold with a T2.

Wil

#5 crocstarr

crocstarr

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:17 PM

i know the T3 is a metro turbo engine (83-90), so what is a T2. i just read on a website that Era put a metro turbo engine in a mini, the T3 and the bulkhead needed changing. the 0-60 mph was 8.9 secs. Does anyone have anymore info. The above reply of more like sub 6 secs seems a bit optimistic to me, i was hoping around 7-7.5 secs if im honest. anymore info greatly appreciated.

#6 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:40 PM

~The problem with calling turbos T2s and T3 is that there are numerous different sizes of T2s and T3s.

If you are going to use a T3 then use the Metro T3, if you are going to use a T2 then use the Renault 5 GT turbo T2.

Don't know much about the ERA turbo (performance wise~) but 8.9 sounds about right.

There's a good number of turbo minis around running 5 second 0-60s (including my 998) but these are well developed cars. Just sticking a metro turbo set-up in the Mini will probably result in an 8 to 9 second 0-60. But add an intercooler lower the CR and up the boost a bit and a 7 second time should be easy to acheive.

Wil

#7 crocstarr

crocstarr

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:37 PM

So if i go for T2, so theres less messing with engine bay, what choices have i got? and where do i look for the other parts that have been mentioned? off the donor car or from mini shop?

#8 crocstarr

crocstarr

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:22 PM

also whats the mirage kit people mention.

#9 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:25 PM

Its a manifold kit that allows you to use a T2 turbo without the need to cut the bulkhead

click for link

#10 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:25 PM

2 posts..... :thumbsup:

#11 crocstarr

crocstarr

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:09 PM

right then so at the moment, im going for a 1.3 j-reg onwards, im going to modify the bulkhead myself, and get a metro turbo engine with accesories. how does that sound? i believe that would be pushing 2 grand?

#12 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:28 PM

Does the £2k include buying the mini?

#13 crocstarr

crocstarr

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 04:50 PM

hmmm im think 1-1500 pound for the mini as im not limiting myself to age, more condition of bodywork and mileage, so i think ive got a chance, but im not sure of money for metro engine etc, so ive jus put 1 grand aside for that. im doing the work myself, cz i wana have some fun. i believe i can get it running for 2 grand, altogether. then after that would be maintenance n bits n bobz. i think thats fair enough? do you?

#14 flameredturbo

flameredturbo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:18 PM

Its all very expensive! and when you havent a clue what you doing its only gona be worse!
good luck

#15 crocstarr

crocstarr

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:34 PM

well im not a complete idiot with the tools, and im giving myself a good 6 months to do some mods. aswell as that i know a couple of people who can help me out and put me in the right direction. and also i have you dudes lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users