23 replies to this topic

#16 crocstarr

crocstarr

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:44 PM

i should be buying my car in the next couple of weeks. getting garage this week to store the mini in.

#17 bousfield19

bousfield19

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Local Club: minis unlimited

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:13 PM

try the turbo mini forums they are a great help mate

#18 redmini

redmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Local Club: Snowdon Mini's,Miniaddicts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:48 PM

:wales: Talk to Turbo Phil, he helped me loads when I was doing mine. His car is a beast and his knowledge is invaluable :wink:

#19 DaveCoxon

DaveCoxon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:05 PM

If you already have a '1275' then you can turbocharge this without even lifting the head. All you've got to do is keep the boost low.

This is a good option IMO - as you've already got a known good working engine. A slight increase in power and torque from 4-5 psi won't 'kill' it immediately either - assuming it is healthy.
What it DOES do is allows you to get everythign on there and working, and confirmed as working RIGHT for little cost. You'd be pretty annoyed for example if your 'brand new' engine was killed because your fuel pressure wasn't rising properly, or your fuel pump wasn't up to the job...

Once everything has been in place, and the bugs ironed out, then you can fit a more 'suitable' engine at your leisure, drop it in, and know it everything your bolting to it works as it should (remember any 'metro turbo' bits are now between 16 and 23 years old)!!

(turbo)Phil's a good guy with them - he's got a good site laid out with all you need to know and learn in easy-to-view sections....

#20 crocstarr

crocstarr

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:25 PM

wow thats a good idea. and what turbo should i use then.

#21 DaveCoxon

DaveCoxon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:59 PM

Well, Everyone who's run a 'Metro'T3, then fitted a T2 of whatever exact type, ALL say "I'll never go back to a T3"...

I fitted a T2 back in '99 and have the same attitude... It is funny when folks believe that a T3 will make more power however - the T2 range has tons more turbine and comressor A/R's and Trim combinatations for smaller engines that can lead to a closer optimisation than any T3-equipped vehicle. It also opens out to the GT-series - once they become a little easier to find in a few years time!!!

http://www.turbomini...p?p=vt&tid=5742
Is a guide for fitting the T2 without the bulkhead box using the Mirage kit.

You can - with probably slightly more effort - fit the smaller T2 to the metro T3 exhaust manifold with an adaptor plate (the stud patterns are different). It's Swings and Roundabouts though; whatever turbo you use on the metro T3 manifold - it needs the bulkhead box, so there is always that expense - plus the arse of having to move the heater 1.5" more into the cabin...

Myself - I'd go for the Mirage kit; just for an easy life! It comes with a life-time guarantee, and looks (with a little mechanical know-how) to be a relativly easy fit...

#22 crocstarr

crocstarr

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:32 PM

well il get the mini first eh lol. its alright me talking the talk at the mo, lets see it happen!

#23 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:13 PM

Myself - I'd go for the Mirage kit; just for an easy life! It comes with a life-time guarantee, and looks (with a little mechanical know-how) to be a relativly easy fit...

yep i'd definately agree with that. Just helped my mate fit his and its gone in really well. It's definately worth the money when you see it fitted for the first time, there must have been a hell of a lot of work gone into making up that manifold/downpipe.

#24 crocstarr

crocstarr

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:23 PM

hey bud, i'll go the same route then if its not too difficult, i'll let u know when i get my mini. i went to have a look at that mini today, only a quickie, i noticed a young looking chap getting out and it already looks too modded for me, i want one well looked after by a lady (or something similar). the cosmetics can cover up a lot of rot and/or mechanical probs. then again, so can a looked after mini. hmmm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users