47 replies to this topic

#1 Benjy25

Benjy25

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

I'm going to be fitting central locking to my mini very soon. Has anyone got any advice as I have seen few kits which intrest me:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item35a7aabb36

This kit seems to have the best/easiest fitting instructions, however are the templates and all that jazz really necessary??
Thanks
Ben

#2 joewb

joewb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:40 PM

same kit i got except mine was only 30 i think, will get a link in a minute.
used it for a few months but no problems so far!

edit: here you go!

Edited by joewb, 07 March 2010 - 04:42 PM.

#3 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

if your quick, you can get the one posted above even cheaper in this auction, only 15mins left i think and no bids

its a quality kit with all the templates you need :blink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4a9efb8802

#4 Benjy25

Benjy25

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

thats the one im watching :blink:

#5 dsgoody

dsgoody

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Local Club: Gert Lush Minis

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

Most people have the AutoEurope kit, I recommend getting it from him since he deals specifically in Central Locking components and can provide replacement components if anything goes wrong. It's cheaper too.

When I brought one all the templates were supplied. They are necessary to have since it all has to be aligned up correctly or it won't work right.

Dave.

#6 Benjy25

Benjy25

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

just bought the one shown in darkscamp's post :blink:
now to fit it when it arrives...
LOL

#7 asmith88

asmith88

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

whats the differnce between a kit like this....

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item27afb75f0f

And the mini one which is double the price and doesnt even have remote central locking? I relise for one like this you have to strenghten the rods that push the lock as it will be side mounted onsted of vertical.

#8 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

trust me, i wouldnt fit one without the templates and ready made rods. its a pain to fit as it is :blink:

Also, when the alarm installer came to fit the alarm and central locking, he brought a kit like that along with him and they didnt fit inside the doors properly. Hence why i had to buy and fit one of the kits.

The kits are also alarm compatible, yet the one you have linked to wont interface with an alarm.

#9 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

whats the differnce between a kit like this....

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item27afb75f0f

And the mini one which is double the price and doesnt even have remote central locking? I relise for one like this you have to strenghten the rods that push the lock as it will be side mounted onsted of vertical.

Quote>Over taking function - press the mute button on the key fob and your lights will flash twice to alert the people in front. also good for saying thank you!<Quote

Great bit of kit...hang on whilst i look for my keys in the ignition, find the right button to press whilst trying to overtake you poor soul infront of me, and hey if i crash into you, at least i can press it again to say thankyou.....pfffft

I got a better kit......

1. walk up to the door with key in hand
2. Insert key into slot thingy and turn (key not you)
3. remove key, push the little button (quite firmly carfull you dont strain your thumb)
4. pull with some effort to open the door.

The above advise is free, no legal comeback's if you break a nail or strain a thumb

Ipod

#10 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

I got a better kit......

1. walk up to the door with key in hand
2. Insert key into slot thingy and turn (key not you)
3. remove key, push the little button (quite firmly carfull you dont strain your thumb)
4. pull with some effort to open the door.

:lol:

I thought that aswell until i got the kit and hooked it up to the alarm. Although some points below apply to the standard keyed setup.

1. No more accidental scratches on the door from the remaining dangling keys
2. No more whinging from you passenger(normally missus) about how long its taking you to get her door open in the cold/rain
3. Piece of mind that you've locked both doors when you walk away from the car
4. No more fumbling for the right key in the dark when its lashing it down

And going by the number of mini's going walkabouts lately (yorkshirechris's the latest), i would advise getting an alarm fitted. I went the whole hog and had electric windows too which were hooked into the alarm for full closure when the lock button was pressed :lol:

#11 Benjy25

Benjy25

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

I second that statement Darkscamp :lol:

#12 asmith88

asmith88

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

So i take it from these resopnses that its definitly worth buying the "made for mini" one!

Advice duely noted!

#13 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: nein

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

Most people have the AutoEurope kit, I recommend getting it from him since he deals specifically in Central Locking components and can provide replacement components if anything goes wrong. It's cheaper too.

When I brought one all the templates were supplied. They are necessary to have since it all has to be aligned up correctly or it won't work right.

Dave.

Loooks good how come this one and others listed in this thread are so cheap comparred to ones offered by Moss (moss one being £107) etc?
Im looking at getting this one above from Autoeurope is it easy to fit really or what sort of skills are required? I want it for security and ease of getting in and out for 2 lol!

Edited by bunch1980, 09 March 2010 - 11:13 AM.

#14 Ian.H

Ian.H

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

Loooks good how come this one and others listed in this thread are so cheap comparred to ones offered by Moss (moss one being £107) etc?
Im looking at getting this one above from Autoeurope is it easy to fit really or what sort of skills are required? I want it for security and ease of getting in and out for 2 lol!

Can't answer your first question as I paid ~£105 for mine from Mini Spares, but it took me about an hour or so to fit (first job I've done on a Mini in 15 years). Some was a bit fiddly, but overall, went quite smoothly. Definitely worthwhile IMO, especially if you have a decent alarm that you can have plumbed into the locking circuit.

Just need to drill tiny holes to screw the solenoids etc to the door and the rods to the lock bar and drill holes in the edge of the door and shell to push the loom through. Relay then gets mounted behind the clocks.

Regards,

Ian

#15 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

Will motors like these simply wire into an alarm to provide cental locking?

Link

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users