#16 dsgoody

dsgoody

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Local Club: Gert Lush Minis

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

Will motors like these simply wire into an alarm to provide cental locking?

Link

I don't know about other alarms, but my alarm has a feature where it can operate the solenoids directly using their two wires.

I would recommend getting the proper kit though that has the little control box along with 5 wire solenoids.

Dave.

#17 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

Just to point out to people that at bingley last year i saw Wood & Picketts £105 kit (same as Moss as they are the same company), the box was identical to the AutoEurope one which is a third of the price!!!

#18 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

them ebay 1's use the rover key fob dont they?? dont know bout the rest of u but my immobiliser doesnt turn off til i'm right up at the car pressing the button, even with a new battery in the fob, is this just a problem with my car or what, it'd make it quicker to use the key in my case then!!

#19 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Could try this?

#20 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:42 PM

Could try this?

real????

#21 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:47 PM

Dunno! Have you tried holding the fob under your chin or close to your head when you click it? This normally dramatically increases the range too! And that's not a joke! :thumbsup:

#22 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: nein

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

Loooks good how come this one and others listed in this thread are so cheap comparred to ones offered by Moss (moss one being £107) etc?
Im looking at getting this one above from Autoeurope is it easy to fit really or what sort of skills are required? I want it for security and ease of getting in and out for 2 lol!

Can't answer your first question as I paid ~£105 for mine from Mini Spares, but it took me about an hour or so to fit (first job I've done on a Mini in 15 years). Some was a bit fiddly, but overall, went quite smoothly. Definitely worthwhile IMO, especially if you have a decent alarm that you can have plumbed into the locking circuit.

Just need to drill tiny holes to screw the solenoids etc to the door and the rods to the lock bar and drill holes in the edge of the door and shell to push the loom through. Relay then gets mounted behind the clocks.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks Ian, I expect moss and mini spares similar systems, just seems big difference between £30 to £100!
Sounds like it would be able to be done by me! and i might be having an alarm put on first to so be able to be linked to that
to. yea imagine be bit tricky and hole need drilling etc, i guess wires need to go from left to right under dash or something to?

Any one got any pictures of it behind door card??

#23 chappy

chappy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

i got this

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...c#ht_720wt_1165

paid the extra £20 for remote locking.

works a treat... took a bit of fitting, (had to take the doors off to drill holes, but works perfectly now >_< never missed a beat.

Sam

#24 dsgoody

dsgoody

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Local Club: Gert Lush Minis

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

them ebay 1's use the rover key fob dont they?? dont know bout the rest of u but my immobiliser doesnt turn off til i'm right up at the car pressing the button, even with a new battery in the fob, is this just a problem with my car or what, it'd make it quicker to use the key in my case then!!

No, they don't. They are completely independent from the Rover alarm, even if you have the remote locking addition (you just end up with two key fobs, one for the Rover alarm/immobiliser and the other locking and unlocking the doors).

They only way to make it interface with the Rover alarm is to buy the interface kit from Mini Trailers or Mini Spares.

Dave.

#25 Ian.H

Ian.H

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

Hi fella..

Thanks Ian, I expect moss and mini spares similar systems, just seems big difference between £30 to £100!
Sounds like it would be able to be done by me! and i might be having an alarm put on first to so be able to be linked to that
to. yea imagine be bit tricky and hole need drilling etc, i guess wires need to go from left to right under dash or something to?

Indeed there is quite a difference. I hadn't seen / heard of the other kits when I bought mine (new to the "Mini Scene").

Drilling the holes in the door and shell was for me the trickiest as I did it with the doors on (released the hinge restraints so I could open the doors wider though IIRC).

My kit came as a complete loom. The relay was (roughly) 2/3 the way down the loom (mine's fitted behind the speedo - above the steering column) hence the 2/3 positioning but the loom itself is in one piece. I fitted the driver's side in first.. ran the loom behind the dash (there's a wooden dash in my motor) and then out to the passenger door.

I can't get any actual pictures of currently as the motor's back in the bodyshop for them to fix some dodgy repairs they did, but this site might give you some indication of what's required.

The kit I got from MiniSpares came with a paper template too which I just scanned / photocopied so that was a big help too.

I think all in all, there's 4 or 5 wires in total.. 2 of which are the live / earth which I spliced in and soldered under the steering column into the main loom.

As for installing the alarm before the central locking, IMO, that would depend on your alarm. I had a cat1 Sigma S30 fitted which required an authorised installer (certificate / insurance purposes), so I went the route of fitting the central locking kit first so the alarm installer could just connect the required wires where he needed to rather than me try to mess with a complex alarm system I knew nothing about and possibly invalidate any warranties or the likes.

HTH :thumbsup:

Regards,

Ian

#26 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

Hi fella..

Indeed there is quite a difference. I hadn't seen / heard of the other kits when I bought mine (new to the "Mini Scene").

Drilling the holes in the door and shell was for me the trickiest as I did it with the doors on (released the hinge restraints so I could open the doors wider though IIRC).

My kit came as a complete loom. The relay was (roughly) 2/3 the way down the loom (mine's fitted behind the speedo - above the steering column) hence the 2/3 positioning but the loom itself is in one piece. I fitted the driver's side in first.. ran the loom behind the dash (there's a wooden dash in my motor) and then out to the passenger door.

I can't get any actual pictures of currently as the motor's back in the bodyshop for them to fix some dodgy repairs they did, but this site might give you some indication of what's required.

The kit I got from MiniSpares came with a paper template too which I just scanned / photocopied so that was a big help too.

I think all in all, there's 4 or 5 wires in total.. 2 of which are the live / earth which I spliced in and soldered under the steering column into the main loom.

As for installing the alarm before the central locking, IMO, that would depend on your alarm. I had a cat1 Sigma S30 fitted which required an authorised installer (certificate / insurance purposes), so I went the route of fitting the central locking kit first so the alarm installer could just connect the required wires where he needed to rather than me try to mess with a complex alarm system I knew nothing about and possibly invalidate any warranties or the likes.

HTH :thumbsup:

Regards,

Ian

Thanks this helps a lot Ian, I there not already wires going to door switch for courtesy light? and use same holes to pass these wires through maybe?
The wiring does look quite simple, that site looks good shame pictures are not bigger thanks for that.

I will probably go for one of these kits on ebay most likely and like you say might be best to fit before and if i get an alarm! im in 2 minds at mo whether to get one or not!

Thanks gor your help would be great to have central locking or remote central locking on the mini!

#27 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

i got this

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...c#ht_720wt_1165

paid the extra £20 for remote locking.

works a treat... took a bit of fitting, (had to take the doors off to drill holes, but works perfectly now :thumbsup: never missed a beat.

Sam

Thanks thats one i think i will get, can the courtesy door light wire holes not be used? im planning on fitting it to a 93' sprite.
Were the instructions that good?
Good price £50 all in for remote locking to!

#28 Ian.H

Ian.H

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hi Lee..

Thanks this helps a lot Ian, I there not already wires going to door switch for courtesy light? and use same holes to pass these wires through maybe?
The wiring does look quite simple, that site looks good shame pictures are not bigger thanks for that.

I will probably go for one of these kits on ebay most likely and like you say might be best to fit before and if i get an alarm! im in 2 minds at mo whether to get one or not!

Thanks gor your help would be great to have central locking or remote central locking on the mini!

The wiring loom for the central locking is about the same diameter as a 5p IIRC. I did look at the door pin switches too, but decided that there wasn't enough room I think, hence I drilled my own holes.

Once we get Casper back (hoping it will be tomorrow!).. I need to get behind the door cards anyway. I'll grab some hi-res images of what's behind there etc so you can see exactly what I did and where.

Regards,

Ian

#29 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

Hi Lee..

The wiring loom for the central locking is about the same diameter as a 5p IIRC. I did look at the door pin switches too, but decided that there wasn't enough room I think, hence I drilled my own holes.

Once we get Casper back (hoping it will be tomorrow!).. I need to get behind the door cards anyway. I'll grab some hi-res images of what's behind there etc so you can see exactly what I did and where.

Regards,

Ian

I see lol a great big bunch of wires then! doh! best to drill own holes then!

hehe Casper is it white or invisible? That would be really good if you can Ian as I have not seen really any pictures of these
kits just mounted. Thanks!!

#30 Ian.H

Ian.H

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

Hi Lee..

I see lol a great big bunch of wires then! doh! best to drill own holes then!

Yup.. not talking fuse wire here! >_<

hehe Casper is it white or invisible?

Considering the length of time the bodyshop has had the motor (due to insurance underwriters working at less than walking pace).. of the 7 months we've owned it, we've actually had it available for about about 6 weeks.. so although it's white, invisible seems kind of fitting too! Here's a picture taken from the other night:

Posted Image

That would be really good if you can Ian as I have not seen really any pictures of these kits just mounted. Thanks!!

No problem. I'll take the pictures of the mounting positions and holes drilled etc :)

Regards,

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users