720 replies to this topic

#541 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:35 PM

What they're trying to tell you is that where you have blocked off the second port on top of the float chamber, what you've actually done is blocked the vent/overflow.  With this sealed off the float chamber won't fill properly and you'll have problems getting the car to run.

Ok now I see. So should I leave the hole free? If it's an overflow, will there be fuel spills?

#542 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:49 PM

What they're trying to tell you is that where you have blocked off the second port on top of the float chamber, what you've actually done is blocked the vent/overflow.  With this sealed off the float chamber won't fill properly and you'll have problems getting the car to run.

Ok now I see. So should I leave the hole free? If it's an overflow, will there be fuel spills?

On UK cars it usually attaches to a pipe over the clutch housing and ends up dumping to the floor. Just keep it away from the exhaust! 

#543 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:55 PM

On UK cars it usually attaches to a pipe over the clutch housing and ends up dumping to the floor. Just keep it away from the exhaust! 

I'll see what I can do with the remaining fuel pipe I have to get it as close to the ground as I can then.

#544 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:44 PM

I will have to buy more fuel pipe for the carb float vent. Last night the auto parts stores were closed so I ended up putting the front arches, finally.

I had to lift the suspension to clear the arches when turning the wheels. It sits too high to my taste, and I will have to lift the rear too to balance the look. I think later I will trim the inside of the arches at the front to get the car lower. It will do for now.

A2xOZrQ.jpg

LT7srN2.jpg

lC67EfR.jpg

#545 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:09 PM

I also put the cutest little tiny filter over the breather

Dg7NnYc.jpg

#546 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:27 PM

What kind of sportspack wheel arches did you buy ? the rubber ones or fibre glass ? they look good, too good to be the rubber ones.

Pete.

#547 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:02 PM

What kind of sportspack wheel arches did you buy ? the rubber ones or fibre glass ? they look good, too good to be the rubber ones.

Pete.

Hey Pete, they are the fiberglass ones. My guy doing the paint had to adjust them quite a bit because they were really rough on the edges touching the body. And I understand that he couldn't see how it would turn out at the ends because without an engine, the front was really high up.

I bought the rubber arches 8-9 years ago, but threw them away because I found that there was no way to make them look goog

#548 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:44 PM

Okay I bought a longer fuel pipe and rerouted the vent to the ground

APqxexv.jpg

#549 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

Also drilled a hole in the boot to fix the spare wheel. Still need to put the tyre on the rim

FXyTXwR.jpg

#550 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:46 PM

I tried to start the engine for the first time yesterday. The power didn't go to the starter motor. I need to do more tests to confirm that the solenoid in dead.

#551 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:58 PM

Great progress mate. Hope you can get it started soon, that's the exciting part!

#552 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:06 PM

I sourced a solenoid from a local Mini friend. This one clicks! I installed it last evening but then it was way too late to try the starter

97pL6mA.jpg

Edited by dasupersprint, 19 March 2020 - 05:42 PM.

#553 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:22 PM

Round 2 of trying to start the engine. The starter motor works, but the petrol isn't coming to the carb. The petrol filter is super dry, even after a good 2-3 minutes of cranking. I've been suggested to put more petrol in the tanks so that the level is higher.

#554 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:38 PM

Electric or mechanical fuel pump?
Sounds like it’s not operating.
You could try carefully putting petrol into the carb to see if the engine fires.

#555 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

Electric or mechanical fuel pump?
Sounds like it’s not operating.
You could try carefully putting petrol into the carb to see if the engine fires.

It's mechanical.

First thing I'll try is put more petrol and remove the spark plugs to make the pump go faster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users