720 replies to this topic

#601 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:44 PM

I put a label on the heater box. It's not the fanciest stuff but I lost the markings while restoring it a while ago.

jNU4CAe.jpg

#602 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:57 PM

Quebec technical inspection: PASSED.

I was super stressed about the dash lights, because we just can't see them on plain daylight. But finally at the garage it was another guy than last time who checked the three remaining items! High beams OK, wipers OK, and... what, dash lights? Let's not worry about that at all. Phew...

That just tells me that the standards are weirdly random, depending on which guy you're with.

Anyway, that's a big step done!

ztGNwva.jpg

#603 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:02 PM

You may think that after the inspection was clear, I went for a drive in the Mini? Of course not! It's still not legal on the road, because it's in ''storage''. In order to ''un-store'' it, normally I would go on the internet and do it in 10 minutes. But no, it's been in storage since 2012, so the website forgot my license plate number. So I have to go in person at a license office with all my papers. And they are all closed because of Covid-19.

I asked for an appointment in an office, so I'll wait...

#604 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:12 PM

Yeah, congrats for the tech. inspection!!

Now you "just" have to wait until the end of the lock-down. What is the current situation in Canada? Is there a specific day from which you can go out?

Still sad not to be able to drive on such a sunny day...

#605 DamoMini

DamoMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:12 PM

Quebec technical inspection: PASSED.

Congrats!

#606 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, congrats for the tech. inspection!!

Now you "just" have to wait until the end of the lock-down. What is the current situation in Canada? Is there a specific day from which you can go out?

Still sad not to be able to drive on such a sunny day...

We are not on complete lock-down but all stores and companies are closed except for essentials like grocery stores and drug stores. Schools are closed but will gradually re-open. I rarely get out because I can work from home.

#607 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:32 PM

I had my appointment at the license plate office, and I went this morning. Because the old plate has been off the road too long, It couldn't be used anymore so they gave me a new one. So the future pictures you will see of my Mini it will have another plate!

This may read weird for UK readers, but here license plates do not stay with a particular car for it's life.

So I guess...I'm finished?! I can go on the road now

Next things to do are test drives a bit longer each time, and see if everything is okay!

Edited by dasupersprint, 11 May 2020 - 02:37 PM.

#608 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:12 PM

Did a good 25 minutes test drive yesterday, and I have to say that everything went well, no shaking, no overheat, no drama. That exhaust backbox is LOUD.

I went to the grocery store too. Was the first time that I locked the doors and left it outside somewhere. Was a bit stressed so I took a blurry picture

L3sXaVY.jpg

#609 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:32 AM

Did it turn heads ?

#610 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:55 PM

Did it turn heads ?

In a sea of white and black crossovers, probably, yes. It's not as scary as I thought it would be to drive such a tiny car.

Yesterday again a good 24km run (15 miles). Went to the magic number 100kmh (60mph), and again everything is fine.

I should stop and take pictures but I just want to drive!

#611 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:46 PM

Well after driving everyday for 30 minutes without any problem, I thought that it was time for a real good drive. I did 100km each way to take the same picture that I took the day I got the car in 2008. That, for me, closes the restoration!

And as I love before/after pictures, here are two of them:

jQpK0zq.jpg

ekm0e2n.jpg

#612 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:10 PM

What a great project and ending!!  You must be super chuffed.

I have loved following this thread and your Mini is something you can be really proud of.

Great work.

:genius:

#613 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:10 PM

Excellent, the car looks stunning. Great idea to do the before/after in the same location.

I do like those original wheels though!! 

#614 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:41 PM

So the restoration may be finished but I'm not finished getting it better. During that longer drive the noise was so awful that my head hurt after. I will insulate all the interior to cover road noise and engine noise. And that Sportex exhaust will go, I ordered a full Stage 1 from Minispares with a standard bore side exit RC40. Looks are important, but drive-ability is more. Those are jobs I wanted to keep for next winter, but will do it as soon as I can to enjoy it more this summer.

#615 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:44 PM

Excellent, the car looks stunning. Great idea to do the before/after in the same location.

I do like those original wheels though!! 

The wheels were good but were not the style I was looking for. I may go back to 10inch someday, I don't hate how 10inch look with the sport pack arches. Plus it would reduce road noise compared to the 13inch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users