#1 wadam

wadam

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

Hi! I'd like to get the best performance and sound (not too loud) out of my 2000 Mpi. I'd like to fit either a RC40 S/S or a Maniflow system. Ive found this LCB for starters LCB Linky. but after that I get lost...pls excuse my lack of knowledge!

I have a few nooby questions:

1 Minispares website is slightly confusing so could someone list or point out which parts I need?
2 Ive been told I can de-cat it but will I have to put the cat on for MOTs? I'd obviously rather just replace the cat with a small pipe rather than a large part of the exhaust.
3 Whats a Lambda sensor? (where's it go?)
4 I think I can fit this myself once I understand it but whats the procedure for jacking it up without it falling on me lolz!!?
5 Will this be too loud?
6 Do I need a twin silencer system?

Thanks for any advice.

Adam

#2 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

The lamda sensor takes readings fron the exhaust gas and sends them to the ECU , it is found screwed into the manifold , as for the Long center branch just give maniflow a ring , they are the best in the business IMO , they will be able to supply you with a good quality injection LCB , this will have the hole for you to mount the lamda sensor into.
any competent DIY mechanic can change from a standard manifold to a LCB , it is very fiddly and space is very tight , particularly on an MPI , but just take your time , failing that take the car to a mini friendly garage for them to fit.
Link pipes and de-cat pipes are available but you will need to re-fit your CAT for every MOT,so a CAT by-pass pipe would probably be best for you.

www.maniflowonline.co.uk

#3 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: does here count :)

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

Fitting any aftermarket exhaust will make the car louder.

How loud will depend upon what exhaust you fit,

larger 3 inch bore systems will give a louder note but also enhance performance on a tuned mpi engine. Not really recomended for a standard mpi.

Play mini do a great rc40, complete with cat bypass pipe.

The standard mpi manifold is an lcb. Long center branch. Swapping this out will up the noise a bit and will allow the engine to breath better on a tuned engine. On a standard engine. Hmmm not to sure.

Fitting is easy as. As long as you have a haynes manual. Would take sumone around 20-30 mins to fit the backbox and around an hour for the manifold. If you tackle the manifold yourself. Please allow the car to be cold as it's very hot down there.

Mike

#4 wadam

wadam

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

If you tackle the manifold yourself. Please allow the car to be cold as it's very hot down there.

Yeah I've seen some high performance engine manifolds go bright orange with all the heat so dont worry I wont go there if its remotely hot :(

I have a haynes manual but I'm wondering if I can put the jack stands on the subframes back and front to make it all level?

I might go ahead and call Maniflow for advice and check out that de-cat Playmini one too. I'll definately stick with a 1.75" exhaust.

Cheers

#5 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

I have a haynes manual but I'm wondering if I can put the jack stands on the subframes back and front to make it all level?

Providing you jack it in the correct place and set the stands up correctly then there is no issue, alternativly get yourself some ramps :( £20 odd quid from machine mart

Mike

#6 wadam

wadam

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

Machine mart = the answer! Cheers i'd rather do that

#7 sirweste

sirweste

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

the mpi manifold and front exhaust section apparently flows very well for a standard system, there will be gains from a aftermarket LCB but they wont be that significant on a standard engine.

The cat link pipe is simply a small section of pipe that goes in place of the cat. This again does little or nothing for performance but it does give you a nicer exhaust note.

My advice on a standard engine to initially go with the twin box rear system, either rc40 (1.6") or a maniflow (1.75").

I'd be a little weary of the aftermarket manifolds that relocate the lambda sensor, the maniflow one for example means that the sensor is only sampling from two cylinders, not all four as it should. The best option on a LCB is to weld a sensor boss on the down pipe after the junction so the sensor is sampling all cylinders as it should be

#8 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

I'd be a little weary of the aftermarket manifolds that relocate the lambda sensor, the maniflow one for example means that the sensor is only sampling from two cylinders, not all four as it should. The best option on a LCB is to weld a sensor boss on the down pipe after the junction so the sensor is sampling all cylinders as it should be

SNAP.

i had the exact same issue with an aftermarket LCB. failed MOT 3 times, after ripping it off and fitting the standard manifold. It sorted the issue

Mike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users