310 replies to this topic

#31 Furyan

Furyan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

Can I ask where you got the seats and red seat pads from, and a rough price? Thanks.

#32 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

http://www.vansanten...dimple_dies.htm

I wish I had a set, dimple dies give terrific results (as this thread shows!)

Hmmm they do look like super duper Gucci ones... $795 for a set of nine though... :D

I was thinking of something similar with a bolt through the middle... Probably in normal EN3B or similar..

#33 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

Of course, got the seats from jk composites who are up in the north west. They've got a good website but not all their stuff seems to be on it. They seem like good lads and willing to make anything you need really. These seats were just over 500 quid due to the carbon on the inside, upholstery, and postage. Lots of options though, give them a ring, left the backs of mine fairly rough, just as they came out of the mould, as hope to get some high build primer on them and paint them the body colour.

I can tell you that the quality is good and that they're very light but not sure about comfort yet! However, plenty of people on piston heads have actually commented that they are.

All the best.

Al

#34 Furyan

Furyan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

Many thanks.

#35 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

Ok, a little more progress to report. Matt has done a template of the seat for the bracket so should be able to get on with this and get a price.

He's also completely re-worked the bulkhead - really happy with it. Will be a theme of 'crossed' sections throughout the car (crossed rear brace, roof brace and door bars) so hope it will all look good together with Matt's crossed swage.

Considering whether to deseam the car as everything has been welded up from the inside - never really wanted to do this though as the external seams define the 'Mini' shape so much - also, a lot of the car is going to be quite smooth with no bumpers and different rear lights so may make the whole thing look too round? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Take it easy,

Al

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 misfit

misfit

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

stunning build mate keep up the good work cant wait to see more and its great to see so many pics too :D

#37 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

Thanks man, much appreciated.

Just trying to sort the driving position at the moment as this determines setting out for new roll cage. Put the drawing below to the guys who are building the car and we think its going to work and not cost the earth. Got some harnesses but need to get pedal box before we can mock everything up and then get the brackets machined - wish me luck - anyone got any good ideas for pedal boxes, OBP seem pretty expensive but want all three pedals.

Al

Posted Image

#38 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

Totally self indulgent as a million miles away from finishing but was getting a mate a brake cover for christmas from Smiffy's Bits so got some door strikes (about the only thing I could use from them!) and had them laser engraved - hope they'll look good.

A

Posted Image

#39 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

Nice...

Are you planning on bonding a carbon roof skin into the shell? If so which adhesive are you thinking of using???

Dave.

#40 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Plan had been to go for that but having looked into it a bit more it seems it's only Ben at carbon weezel who does one in a single sheet - problem is it's over £800!! For the time being I've got a 100 quid grp panel from tdk which the lads seem to think fits pretty well - will see how it goes, if I can afford it later before paint then I'll try to get a cf one - the cw roof is a beautiful thing, think I'd actually paint it on the outside though and just leave the weave on the inside!

No idea how it will be fixed - was your question leading to the fact that you have to use a very specific adhesive?

Al

#41 Timify

Timify

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

Have you seen Arc Angels roof skins?

http://www.the-arc-a...asp?ImageID=172

#42 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

i had some doors from himley off them very good fit and build very good price too

#43 misfit

misfit

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

Have you seen Arc Angels roof skins?

http://www.the-arc-a...asp?ImageID=172

dam thats gone and done it now so how much carbon can you put on me mini befor it comes to much lol :thumbsup:

#44 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:11 PM

Wow thats a real project your doing....what sort of enjone your putting in......................can't quite make out that front sub thingy............... :)

#45 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

Many thanks - it's coming on... slowly!

Good question on the engine front as trying to sort it out at the moment. Think we're going for an R1 5JJ due to ease of wiring/tuning(?) but haven't seen many people going down this route - the 5PW seems more popular but pretty expensive. Don't know what people think generally?

If anyone had any info on good bike engine sources it would be much appreciated - seen a few go on ebay recently so that's always an option.

Al

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users