25 replies to this topic

#16 basinhead

basinhead

On The Road

• Traders
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

Just taken delivery of a couple of items. Swift delivery. Many thanks.

One thing though, your pictures don't do the items justice. They look way cooler 'in person'. I didn't realise titanium looked that colour.

I'd definitely like a titanium mini now!

Cool! I'm really glad you like them. Grade 5 Ti is lovely and bright isn't it?

#17 basinhead

basinhead

On The Road

• Traders
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

do you or can you supply nuts that fit your products also?

Not as yet. I did make some last year but they took me ages to make and I charged quite a lot and they didn't sell. I just used them on my Mini.
I have enquired though and I'd have to outlay a huge amount of money to keep the price reasonable.
The reason they'd be so expensive is because you can't buy grade 5 titanium in hexagon shape bar. (Except from China which will be crap)
So nuts will have to be machined from a bar. So six cuts for the hexagon, drill, tap and chamfer the hole and outer edges. Quite a lot of operations for a little nut.

I haven't enquired about getting them hot forged though (like ARP nuts), which may still cost me a fortune but be cheaper per nut and therefore easier to sell.

I think, if I want to sell nuts or bolts I have to spend thousands to keep the price affordable. I am aiming to do it though.

#18 benpopham

benpopham

The Carbon Weezel

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

Hey
I would love a set of your drilled Ti washers for the rear subby, any idea when your going to have them? also, would they fit as manifold washers?

Ben

#19 basinhead

basinhead

On The Road

• Traders
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

Hey
I would love a set of your drilled Ti washers for the rear subby, any idea when your going to have them? also, would they fit as manifold washers?

Ben

I asked the engineer about the cross drilled rear subframe washers and they're going to be a bit expensive I think, probably a tenner each, but much cheaper if I don't have them cross drilled.

The cross drilled washers are expensive because a bloke has to turn the part round 60 degrees then drill and chamfer each hole. But, they do look really nice and they're a part you can see from the outside of the car and will be exposed to road salt so it's a perfect part to have in titanium.

I bought a 1 metre bar of 35mm and it was £120! :P But now I've taken the plunge and bought it, I think I will convert half of the bar to washers. I'm thinking 50 plain washers and 50 cross drilled washers.

I don't think they'll be ideal for manifold washers as they're really wide, and the centre hole is wide, but I sell the 1 inch wide manifold washers (2.5mm thick)

Cheers,

rich

#20 jameslearwood

jameslearwood

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Local Club: ALL ALONE

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

can you do the steering column cover in stainless??

#21 basinhead

basinhead

On The Road

• Traders
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

can you do the steering column cover in stainless??

Hi James,

Fraid not. All my products are turned on the lathe.

I had a quick look though and the sleeve that covers the steering shaft can probably be fabricated in stainless. With a couple of tabs tig welded on to hold the plastic cover that covers the wiring.

Cheers,

Rich

#22 benpopham

benpopham

The Carbon Weezel

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:30 AM

Hey

Ben

I asked the engineer about the cross drilled rear subframe washers and they're going to be a bit expensive I think, probably a tenner each, but much cheaper if I don't have them cross drilled.

The cross drilled washers are expensive because a bloke has to turn the part round 60 degrees then drill and chamfer each hole. But, they do look really nice and they're a part you can see from the outside of the car and will be exposed to road salt so it's a perfect part to have in titanium.

I bought a 1 metre bar of 35mm and it was £120! :( But now I've taken the plunge and bought it, I think I will convert half of the bar to washers. I'm thinking 50 plain washers and 50 cross drilled washers.

I don't think they'll be ideal for manifold washers as they're really wide, and the centre hole is wide, but I sell the 1 inch wide manifold washers (2.5mm thick)

Cheers,

rich

Hey
Id happily pay £10+ per washer for the crossed drilled ones... they look very smart. Hope to see them on your site soon :thumbsup:

Ben

Edited by benpopham, 12 April 2010 - 06:30 AM.

#23 jameslearwood

jameslearwood

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Local Club: ALL ALONE

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

take it you mean a stainless cover that would clip onto the plastic one.

how much would this cost

cheers

#24 paulk 7364

paulk 7364

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:59 PM

hi, can you do wheel nuts in ti for 12 inch revolutions if so how much and how quick is the turn around time thanks paul.

#25 basinhead

basinhead

On The Road

• Traders
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

hi, can you do wheel nuts in ti for 12 inch revolutions if so how much and how quick is the turn around time thanks paul.

Hi Paul

Yeah, should be able to make those no problem.
Not sure how quickly on the turnaround though. Couple of months possibly.

I've bought a nut and washer and I'll model it up and talk it through with the engineers. I may get these made before a titanium rear brake adjuster as I'm not sure if brake adjusters would sell well.

I'd also get a ti wheel nuts tested for tensile strength before selling any just to make sure they're safe. I know they'll be a magnitude stronger, but its just good to be sure.

Cheers,

Rich

#26 paulk 7364

paulk 7364

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

Hi Paul

Yeah, should be able to make those no problem.
Not sure how quickly on the turnaround though. Couple of months possibly.

I've bought a nut and washer and I'll model it up and talk it through with the engineers. I may get these made before a titanium rear brake adjuster as I'm not sure if brake adjusters would sell well.

I'd also get a ti wheel nuts tested for tensile strength before selling any just to make sure they're safe. I know they'll be a magnitude stronger, but its just good to be sure.

Cheers,

Rich

let me know when thay are done please thanks paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users