#76 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Whens combe, from what im gathering i doubt ill be at mitp at the rate things are going anyway.

#77 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

Whens combe, from what im gathering i doubt ill be at mitp at the rate things are going anyway.

Castle Combe 24th of September, I'm hoping to take both mini's

#78 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

Castle Combe 24th of September, I'm hoping to take both mini's

Ok, classic has started to drop quite a lot of oil lately, steadily getting worse to the point where something had to me done. It was obvious it was coming from the timing chain cover, however this seal like all the others were changed when I rebuilt the engine. Anyway took the crank pulley off (Jonspeed) to find a nasty grove in it where the seal runs. Because the pulley isn’t hard anodised the knife edge on the seal which is designed to seal on a steel surface has done the damaged. So to combat this we machine the damaged area down and fitted a stainless steel sleeve to stop this problem happening again. We also found out the Minispares offer a later oil seal which is better designed for a force induction engine. So fingers crossed no more oil on our nice drive!

I’ve also had 4 wheel alignment done which has transformed the handling of the car, so much better for road use now!!

Engine will be coming out in the winter as I want to check for cam wear, plus the piston rings need replacing which I didn’t do on the last rebuild – false economy!

#79 JmayfairJ

JmayfairJ

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

can i ask, why on the pipe from the supercharger to the carb do you have 2 flanges bolted together rather than just weld the lot? this looks awesome though its swaying me from turbochargers in favour of doing something like this, and an asda fuel pump? why not tesco or sainsburies :D just joking

#80 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

can i ask, why on the pipe from the supercharger to the carb do you have 2 flanges bolted together rather than just weld the lot?

I did it this way so if I ever wanted to take the carb off it was easier to do so.

I'll be at Castle Combe this Saturday on the Total Mini stand if you fancy a better look...

#81 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

Been away for a while so haven't posted much. Took the engine out for a rebuild due to not changing the rings (false economy at the time), running in almost complete now. While the engine was out sent the body to a body shop for some tlc…..
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#82 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Very nice :-)

Where did you get the crankcase breather plate adaptor from?

Edited by Nick Warwick, 16 May 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#83 rosstolley

rosstolley

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

Just finished reading your thread... Now I have an erection!

Really great fab skills on the Supercharger. I would certainly be putting my name down if you ever decided to fab up a few of those magnificent parts

:gimme:

#84 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Nick,

I made the plate myself.

Rosstolley,

Thank you, its been a lot of fun....

#85 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

If you've still of the engine out could you buy any chance measure the diameter of the crank pulley that runs the charger.

#86 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

If you've still of the engine out could you buy any chance measure the diameter of the crank pulley that runs the charger.

Sorry, but the engine is back in the car as per pictures. Crank pulley was £100....

#87 joe90

joe90

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hi Graham looking nice & shinny. Do you race the tony kart anywhere?
Kart racing is the best :)

#88 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hi Graham looking nice & shinny. Do you race the tony kart anywhere?
Kart racing is the best :)

Joe, well spotted!. I've done in the passed a lot of track days and hill climbs in my highly tuned BMW mini cooper S, but these days it costs a lot of money, so decided to buy a kart as Clay Pigeon is only 10 miles away and only costs me £45 for the day. Its not a slow kart by any means. I'm not entered for any racing its just for fun on a Sat and to spend some time with my children who also enjoy it!

Edited by Grahamxx, 20 May 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#89 joe90

joe90

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Clay is great track. I race at forest edge kart club near Andover, if you get the chance you should pop down.

#90 joe90

joe90

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Check out http://www.fekc.co.uk/ for details. I race 177 masters rotax :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users