#1 buster833

buster833

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

HI,
Iam struugling to find an ecu for my mini since the original has been damaged beyond repair. The part number is MNE101170E and my mini is a 1996 Equinox 1.3spi, is there another ecu I can use that has the 2 sockets the same as mine. Any advice would be gratefully received

#2 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

HI,
Iam struugling to find an ecu for my mini since the original has been damaged beyond repair. The part number is MNE101170E and my mini is a 1996 Equinox 1.3spi, is there another ecu I can use that has the 2 sockets the same as mine. Any advice would be gratefully received

Hi,
Are you positive that your ECU has 2 sockets? Early (93 or earlier I believe) SPI's used two sockets and MPI's used two sockets also.
My experience with my 94 Cooper was that the ECU, MNE101070 single socket, was draining the battery. The seller of the car provided me with an MNE101170 single socket that would not work. It turned out that my car has no immobilizer, therefore the first ECU, and the second was for a car with an immobilizer. I had the second one remanufactured by ATP Electronic Developments Ltd in the UK and the immobilizer feature disabled. It works great.
My understanding (thanks to Sprocket) is that ECU with the number 10 in the middle are the ones with no immobilizer feature and can be used in cars with immobilizer. However, if an immobilizer type ECU is used as a replacement (number 11) then the alarm and ECU codes need to be matched by an ECU repair facility. The last two digits (70) is supposed to be for the higher compression Cooper engine. I believe that for non Cooper engines the last two digits are 40.
There are other ECU's for autos and so on.

Ivan

Edited by xrocketengineer, 02 April 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#3 buster833

buster833

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

HI,

Hi,
Are you positive that your ECU has 2 sockets? Early (93 or earlier I believe) SPI's used two sockets and MPI's used two sockets also.
My experience with my 94 Cooper was that the ECU, MNE101070 single socket, was draining the battery. The seller of the car provided me with an MNE101170 single socket that would not work. It turned out that my car has no immobilizer, therefore the first ECU, and the second was for a car with an immobilizer. I had the second one remanufactured by ATP Electronic Developments Ltd in the UK and the immobilizer feature disabled. It works great.
My understanding (thanks to Sprocket) is that ECU with the number 10 in the middle are the ones with no immobilizer feature and can be used in cars with immobilizer. However, if an immobilizer type ECU is used as a replacement (number 11) then the alarm and ECU codes need to be matched by an ECU repair facility. The last two digits (70) is supposed to be for the higher compression Cooper engine. I believe that for non Cooper engines the last two digits are 40.
There are other ECU's for autos and so on.

Ivan
hi Ivan thanks for the reply my car definatly has 2 plugs, however the immobilizer has been removed from the car by a previous owner so does this mean the 101070 should go straight on or will go on with modification. I was offered a 101070 by ecu-express and have been offered a 101170 from a ebay user. I havent purchased either because the rover dealersip checked the vin number and said that the correct one for the car was MNE101170E.

#4 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

hi Ivan thanks for the reply my car definatly has 2 plugs, however the immobilizer has been removed from the car by a previous owner so does this mean the 101070 should go straight on or will go on with modification. I was offered a 101070 by ecu-express and have been offered a 101170 from a ebay user. I havent purchased either because the rover dealersip checked the vin number and said that the correct one for the car was MNE101170E.

[/quote]

Well, something is not right because this is the MNE101070 and the MNE101170 looks identical to it. They are both single socket. So, I don't know.

#5 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:05 PM

i'll have a look in my garage tomorrow as i have a spare twin socket one in there somewhere you can have if its right, just pay the postage. :thumbsup:

#6 buster833

buster833

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

i'll have a look in my garage tomorrow as i have a spare twin socket one in there somewhere you can have if its right, just pay the postage. :lol:

hi,
many thanks I will happily pay the postage
[email protected]

#7 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

Found it :D

This is what it says about mine; MNE10027 1300cc SPI Cooper - Except: Japan BD 58747 -> BD 60487

Heres a couple of pictures of the one i found but i fear its the wrong one

Attached File  DSC01863.JPG   2.08MB   28 downloads

Attached File  DSC01861.JPG   2.18MB   12 downloads

this site has a lot of them listed http://www.rimmerbro...m--i-GRID000808

this one might help aswell http://www.limora.co...kal.tpl,x-a.htm just noticed its the german somerford site me thinks :lol:

Edited by Darkscamp, 03 April 2010 - 04:58 PM.

#8 buster833

buster833

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

Found it :D

This is what it says about mine; MNE10027 1300cc SPI Cooper - Except: Japan BD 58747 -> BD 60487

this one might help aswell http://www.limora.co...kal.tpl,x-a.htm just noticed its the german somerford site me thinks :lol:

it looks like the one that was on the mini but Im not sure with the number being different, trying it would be the only sure way.

#9 buster833

buster833

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

Found it :P

this one might help aswell http://www.limora.co...kal.tpl,x-a.htm just noticed its the german somerford site me thinks ;D

it looks like the one that was on the mini but Im not sure with the number being different, trying it would be the only sure way.

Could you please tell me hoe much for postage. I will return it after trying

#10 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

sorry for the delay in replying. why does every bankholidayturn into a 'working on everyones mini' frenzy. I think i get more rest at work :lol:

pm sent to you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users