#1 remzors

remzors

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

Hi I own a 2001 Mini Cooper Works S 1.3 MPI
Its only done 18,000 miles and when i first bought it 5 months ago it ran fine. However, last month when i was driving home the engine suddenly started to splutter. It now does it all the time and is extremely hard to drive. The Spluttering is worst when accelarating but also will start spluttering randomly aswell and also if i go over a bump on the road at speed itl start to splutter.

The other problem is that the idle is very erratic. When i turn on the engine itl flick right to 3000rpm stay there for a second then stay on 2000rpm then when i put the clutch it will sometimes even start going up to 4000rpm. The weird thing is that the problem when engaging the clutch only happens sometimes. There have been a few times when the idle isnt erratic but will just be high.

Heres what ive done already to try and fix the problems.
Ran cleaner through the injectors
put in new spark plugs
sent the ECU for testing and all came fine
put in new fuel pump (this fixed the problem for a few days then spluttering and eratic idle came back)

As far as im aware the only thing the previous owner did to the car was put in a sports exhaust which meant the catalytic converter had to be taken out. Although, reading some of the other posts with similar problem it seems to be Minis with stage kits which get these problems. Is it possible i have one on my car without realising? if so how do I check?

#2 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

You should get your fuel pressure checked. If you've replaced the fuel pump and it worked for a bit I'd check the wiring.

With regard to having a stage 1 kit. If it's an S works you have then it's closer to a stage 3. New exhaust and manifold, modified head etc etc.

The main problem with modified MPI's tends to be fuel pressure and most people put on adjustable fuel regulators to deal with this.

#3 remzors

remzors

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

ok thanks for that. I think i will try the power boost valve a few people have got and get a gauge for it (unless it come with one???). However, i have heard a few things about setting things up on a rolling road. What exactly is this and what does it do?

#4 sx_turbo

sx_turbo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:41 AM

tried a fuel filter?

#5 remzors

remzors

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

nope checked the fuel filter and thats fine aswell. Does anybody no where I can get a fuel pressure gauge from?

#6 MiniBonkerz

MiniBonkerz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:50 AM

sounds daft but maybe a problem i had a little case myself and found that the throttle cable was sticking very slightly it would rev up then the vibrations would release it a squirt of wd40 both ends and its fine now dont have it happen anymore

#7 iseult

iseult

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

have exactly the same problem with my cooper s. has been into garage twice in last couple of months and was told they could find nothing wrong. today i've been told the throttle body needs replacing. Mechanic said it's a problem with minis but I can find no evidence of this at all on any forums. Would anyone know if this could be the problem?? Getting really annoying at this stage

#8 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: does here count :)

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

As said above. I would check the trottle cable. They can be prone to sticking. One other place where they can jam or hold up is on the side of the tb. Where the cable loops around the arm to move the butterfly open/closed.

As for the throttle body question. Depending upon the setup of the car if it has the standard 48 mm plastic throttle body then these can jam open. This is due to heat from the manifold warping the throttle body due to the position of both.

Most people fit an aftermarket burlen tb. Either sticking with the 48mm or opting for the larger 52mm. Not only does this avoid the warping it also offers a smoother acceleration

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users