#1 ryann

ryann

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:57 AM

Hi guys,

as a light weight upgrade I decided to go for fibre glass doors and polycarb windows kit, however the old original door hinges seem to robust and stiff for fibreglass doors. has anyone changed there door hinges to different ones? and if so can i see some pictures. I'm just worried that as the old ones had a very heavy door attached to them they did the job just fine but on fibreglass doors i think they'll break the doors from the hinge bolds if u know what i mean.

Has anyone come across this issue and if so how did you solve it and what parts or mods so i need to do?

Please get back to me asap so i can get on with my project.

P.S. the doors are arc angel fibre doors. as far as i know they are just plain mrk 3 doors which come ready with a door card!

thanks
ryan

#2 benpopham

benpopham

The Carbon Weezel

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:49 AM

http://carbonweezel....road_doors.html

These do the job nicely :trooper:

Ben

#3 ryann

ryann

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

lol, thanks ben however i dont afford £250 on 4 hinges!!!!! lets get real mate............... :trooper:

#4 CobraV8

CobraV8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

Buy yourself some Mk1 hinges (Minispares sell as a set) and bolt some nice big washers inside the fibreglass doors to spread the load.

#5 ryann

ryann

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

have you got mrk 1 hinges on yours? if so can i have a few pictures so i can see where they go and how they look because i like the idea!! do you also have measurments on how far apart they need to be and so on?

thanks
ryan

#6 AndreasGR

AndreasGR

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

Ryann, on my fiberglass doors i am using the original mk3 hinges with washers, there is no problem mate, the only thing you must remove is the metal door stop! instead of it you could fix a leather strap to stop the door. i will try later on to take some pictures for you. the picture bellow is the only one i have available with me at the moment. you could also glue a piece of rubber on the washers to absorb some of the load.

Attached File  IMGP0706.JPG   77.39K   23 downloads

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,417 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

It's very easy to add some local reinforcement or bond in some brackets to fibreglass.

Ryann, on my fiberglass doors i am using the original mk3 hinges with washers, there is no problem mate, the only thing you must remove is the metal door stop! instead of it you could fix a leather strap to stop the door. i will try later on to take some pictures for you. the picture bellow is the only one i have available with me at the moment. you could also glue a piece of rubber on the washers to absorb some of the load.

Attached File  IMGP0706.JPG   77.39K   23 downloads

#8 Pete649

Pete649

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

http://carbonweezel....road_doors.html

These do the job nicely :D

Ben

Carbon fibre....Yummmmmmmmm!! ;)

#9 ryann

ryann

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

thanks Andreasgr,

thats fantastic. i'll get it sorted this weekend hopefully and then post some pictures.

thanks again guys:)

#10 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

I recommend bonding the (fender) washers in with structural epoxy, or better yet, make a load spreader backer plate out of 6061 ally or similar, bond it in and then use washers.

Also, top of page - DSN Classics just came out with these:

http://www.dsnclassi...y_Parts_33.html

thanks Andreasgr,

thats fantastic. i'll get it sorted this weekend hopefully and then post some pictures.

thanks again guys:)

Edited by Monte Busa, 09 April 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#11 ryann

ryann

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:49 AM

thanks for the help guys. much appreciated and i'll have plenty more to ask in the coming months as i rebuild my mini as a weekend worrier! :P

will post weeks as soon as the doors are in place

#12 russelli

russelli

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Local Club: lotus seven ownners club

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

have seen hinges made from 2 peices of drilled ali angle, size i would say around 20 x 20 x 3 shaped etc looked quite cool.

#13 BenH

BenH

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Minis

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

my doors from arc and ive just used big washers like the guy above,so far so good!

#14 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

Got a pillar drill?
You could just drill loads of holes in the old hinges

#15 Custom_Minis

Custom_Minis

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

Got a pillar drill?
You could just drill loads of holes in the old hinges

On our doors you would normally just use the standard hinges. The mounting side of the door should be strengthend (sp) with this in mind already.
If not, just use a piece of 3mm aluminium flat running full height on the inside of the door jamb to spread the load as mentioned above.
Can you get to the inside of the door? I thought the inside was blanked - how do you tighten the nuts onto the bolts?
As for sizes, the mounting holes for the hinges should be edtched into the moulding already for you.

Les.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users