ryann

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

Got a pillar drill?
You could just drill loads of holes in the old hinges

On our doors you would normally just use the standard hinges. The mounting side of the door should be strengthend (sp) with this in mind already.
If not, just use a piece of 3mm aluminium flat running full height on the inside of the door jamb to spread the load as mentioned above.
Can you get to the inside of the door? I thought the inside was blanked - how do you tighten the nuts onto the bolts?
As for sizes, the mounting holes for the hinges should be edtched into the moulding already for you.

Les.

hi les,

the doors are not blanked. They have inbuilt door cards so i have to cut out a section to get to the tob nuts and then another section to get to the bottom or else..... i can just cut out the whole door card and then get new ones however as i also have polycarb windows i dont see the need to cut it all out unless i have issues installing the locks!

#17 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

You're in luck, I'm the man. I fitted a pair of FG doors only today.

Take old doors off by undoing the machine screws, so leave the hinges bolted to the hinge panel, take templates off the old doors for the holes with paper and a crayon (like a brass rubbing), drill new holes for hinges and locks on new doors, drill the holes for the hinges too big (I used 8mm).

Buy 10 new countersunk machine screws, penny washers and nuts, weld the countersunk screws in the hinges, then put the door onto the hinges, slam the door shut and line it up, then sit inside and put the nuts on the hinges from inside the car.

Worked for me anyway. I didn't strengthen anything, it was all strong enough. Depends what your doors are like though.

#18 ryann

ryann

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:41 PM

You're in luck, I'm the man. I fitted a pair of FG doors only today.

Take old doors off by undoing the machine screws, so leave the hinges bolted to the hinge panel, take templates off the old doors for the holes with paper and a crayon (like a brass rubbing), drill new holes for hinges and locks on new doors, drill the holes for the hinges too big (I used 8mm).

Buy 10 new countersunk machine screws, penny washers and nuts, weld the countersunk screws in the hinges, then put the door onto the hinges, slam the door shut and line it up, then sit inside and put the nuts on the hinges from inside the car.

Worked for me anyway. I didn't strengthen anything, it was all strong enough. Depends what your doors are like though.

thanks sam ill try it out when i get round to fitting them. was ment to be this weekend but instead i decided to deseame the sills!! will get them on soon though.
Thanks again for the advice

>_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users