9 replies to this topic

#1 Miniowner123

Miniowner123

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

bought my mini the other day and all is well apart from the alarm that has just decided to arm itself and not let me turn it off, had this problem with a rover 200 a while back and had to get the keys recoded, just wondering where is the location of the security ecu? im guessing behind the dash but i dont really want to spend ages trying to find it while my alarm keeps going off.

also any one know if i could use the old security ecu out of my old 200 as its exactly the same unit and also has the same 2 button remotes, saves me getting remotes recoded then, thanks

#2 Miniowner123

Miniowner123

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

well i found it behind the dash, and in case anyone is wondering the rover 200 security ecu worked sort of lol, it stopped the alarm and the car tried to kick over but it still immobilised it in some way, so now i gotta find somewhere that reprogrammes key fobs for rovers, any ideas? thanks.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

You need more than that! The alarm and engine ECUs are coded to recognise each other. Alarm ECUs can't be swapped without reprogramming both alarm and engine ECUs, only the alarm ECU that was in your car when it was built can command that engine ECU to fire.

#4 Miniowner123

Miniowner123

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

thats what i figured after the rover 200 one wouldnt work, worth a try though as being the weekend im now stuck until monday. i know of a place that reprogrammes them if you send the security ecu and the fobs but its up north and means posting it all off and taking 3 days, anyone know of a local place around the north london area?

thanks for the info mate

#5 Miniowner123

Miniowner123

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

sorted, i just took the alarm fuse out pressed fob buttons a few times and then put the fuse back in, all working as normal, god knows what was wrong with it

#6 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

We suffer from poor battery connection in the keyfob. The only solution seems to be to re-arm (listen for the clicks from the front), then disarm. Renew battery as well. Occasionally, threatening language and holding the fob over the alarm helps as well.

#7 Miniowner123

Miniowner123

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:22 PM

lol makes you think why o why did rover fit these alarms to start with

#8 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: does here count :)

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

A lots of time the reason why the alarm
will not arm/disarm is the buttons them
self.

Repeted pressings of the fob buttons cause the connections on the little boards to work loose and whennyou press the fob nothing happens.

I took mine apart and fixed it. Simply making sure the silver lugs were holding the rubber pin in
place

Mike

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

lol makes you think why o why did rover fit these alarms to start with

It became a legal requirement for cars to have electronic immobilisers. I imagine this was the cheapest one they could find.

Are you saying it's working with the alarm ECU from the other car? It really shouldn't be!

#10 Miniowner123

Miniowner123

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

nah i got it working with the original ecu back in, i totally forgot both ecu's were matched when i tried it, god knows what was wrong with it, least its working...........for the moment anyway lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users