#1 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:07 AM

I appreciate this topic has been covered before but we have a 1994 Spi, the plugs are black and it misfires at high revs. The car on idle is perfect but when on the road the car will not freely rev much over 4,000 RPM and around that rev range is where the misfire / hesitation starts.

As the temperature gauge did not read I automatically decided the temp sensor under the inlet manifold was at fault, this has been replaced.

The car still exhibites the same faults so I :

Disconnected the lamda (same problem, now reconnected)
Changed HT leads
Changed Plugs
Changed Coil
All vacuum pipes replaced and checked for damage and replaced where necessary

None of the above have resolved the issue, I have not changed the themoststat as the heater in the car works well, I also cleaned out the waterway in the inlet manifold where the water passes through over the temp sensor. This was full of muck!!

The temperature gauge also still does not read, but it does move a smidge when the car has been run for a few miles.

Any pointers would be greatly recieved

#2 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

Had it on a code reader to see the live data? - temp gauge should be reading... is the water pipe going through the manifold getting hot?

#3 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

The water is definately running through the manifold as we cleaned it out when we removed it to replace the sensor.

I really must treat myself to a Spi and Mpi code reader, can you recommend anything?

#4 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

http://www.talktomyc...aders/mj007.htm

Did you check the catalyst? If there is a problem i.e. melted or cracked it could cause some high rpm running issues, worth a try taking it off...

by the way - If you need any bits give me a shout, I am breaking a 94 Cooper at the moment and still have most of the stuff left, cheers

Edited by R1minimagic, 19 April 2010 - 11:03 AM.

#5 Nu2mini

Nu2mini

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

Sorry to Hijack this thread but are you definitely sure this will read an SPI ECU ??

I have not changed the themoststat as the heater in the car works well

It maybe worth replacing the thermostat even though you say the heater is working OK. Thermostat may be opening and then failing to close as temperature falls. Try obtaining an independent temperture reading from hose leading to manifold should be 88 degrees or above.

#6 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

Sorry to Hijack this thread but are you definitely sure this will read an SPI ECU ??

I have not changed the themoststat as the heater in the car works well

It maybe worth replacing the thermostat even though you say the heater is working OK. Thermostat may be opening and then failing to close as temperature falls. Try obtaining an independent temperture reading from hose leading to manifold should be 88 degrees or above.

I called the lads at talkto mycar and regretably they do NOT offer a code reader for a car of this age, I thought that the thermostat may be at fault too so I did change it.

The fault remains!! . ERRRRRR

#7 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:08 PM

Wont read any mini dude... Minis arent OBD compliant...

I really must treat myself to a Spi and Mpi code reader, can you recommend anything?

For a long time i used the Sykes ACR4 - work fine on the Minis (both MPI and SPI - does airbags too (on the MPi) - Its a modular piece of kit so you need the handset and then the right application pods and harnesses... I have now upgraded to Sykes latest Reader (called the SPI), great bit of kit, costs a fortune, but does lots and lots of cars, abs, airbags, body control, diesel additives, etc.. doesnt do anything any different to the mini that the ACR4 or the Crypton device does...

Incidently I may well be selling up my ACR4 kit, when you come down you are welcome to have a look/play...

Cheers,
Dave

#8 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:50 AM

Wont read any mini dude... Minis arent OBD compliant...

I knew that ............. (didn't really)!

#9 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

Minis 1996-onwards (MPi) have the OBD plug under the dashboard. Not much help to you though i'm afraid Dave!

SPi should have something which looks like a nipple/teat under the bonnet mmmmm :mrcool:

Now - please help me on my door skins question in seperate thread, cheers!!

Edited by R1minimagic, 20 April 2010 - 08:22 AM.

#10 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

ISSUE RESOLVED

The pipe that runs from the thermostat housing was gunged up ... now the water flows over the sensor, temp gauge reads correctly and the car performs without fault!

#11 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

Minis 1996-onwards (MPi) have the OBD plug

Correct - they have the 16 pin plug that is the same style as the OBD plug... but... its not OBD complient and an OBD tool wont work on it....

#12 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

There must be a tool that works on it otherwise it wouldn't be there in the 1st place.

#13 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

Icklemini:
You mentioned the Sykes Pickvant SPI tool, does it do alarms as well or do you still need their other tool?

I have ACR2 and ACR4, but for a Mini only an upgrade does not seem realistic.
Terry
Sorry for the hijack, but am glad the problem was solved.

Edited by tmsmini, 20 April 2010 - 08:03 PM.

#14 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

Icklemini:
You mentioned the Sykes Pickvant SPI tool, does it do alarms as well or do you still need their other tool?

Hi,

Yeah i use the SP SPI tool now - nice bit of kit really: Yep it does alarms/immobilisers/fobs - but you have to subscribe to that bit of the software... In a similar way to the SP iKeys pod...

Cheers,
Dave

#15 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

There must be a tool that works on it otherwise it wouldn't be there in the 1st place.

Yes there are tools, the Modus, the Rover TestBook, Sykes ACR, Crypton, the SP Diagnostics kit i have, etc - they all work on it.

The 16 pin plug became standard before OBD2!, and before that there were different plugs manufacturer specific plugs - like in the SPi, (the round 2 pin under the bonnet) - get pretty much the same info out of that than you do out the 16pin on the MPi. but its all 'rover specific' - i.e. a 5 pound obd gadget off ebay aint gonna work am afraid.

ttfn,
Dave

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users