11 replies to this topic

#1 radgator1

radgator1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

I posted this on the regular tech section but haven't gotten any help yet. I have a 1994 SPi new to me. So far it looks like I need a trans rebuild (grinding when shifting to 2nd gear) but there is another problem. A warning tone that goes on and off one speed goes above 80 KPH and always stops when the car falls below 80. Any ideas? Does the car have a speed limit warning system or somethig? I was thinking maybe it is an emissions warning or something.

Any help appreciated.

#2 radgator1

radgator1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

double post.

Edited by radgator1, 24 April 2010 - 06:19 PM.

#3 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

Is it Japanese? if so, probably the catalyst warning buzzer, it is getting too hot.

#4 radgator1

radgator1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

Is it Japanese? if so, probably the catalyst warning buzzer, it is getting too hot.

Yes, it is in fact Japanese. Is it something I should worry about and how can I disable it?

Thanks for the reply!!

#5 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

Yes, it is in fact Japanese. Is it something I should worry about and how can I disable it?

Thanks for the reply!!

Hi, from sunny Florida....

Here is a couple of threads that might help you:

http://www.theminifo...x...8&hl=buzzer

http://www.theminifo...x...4&hl=buzzer

I hope that helps,

Ivan

#6 mrslaphead

mrslaphead

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

I posted this on the regular tech section but haven't gotten any help yet. I have a 1994 SPi new to me. So far it looks like I need a trans rebuild (grinding when shifting to 2nd gear) but there is another problem. A warning tone that goes on and off one speed goes above 80 KPH and always stops when the car falls below 80. Any ideas? Does the car have a speed limit warning system or somethig? I was thinking maybe it is an emissions warning or something.

Any help appreciated.

I dont know if this helps, but several years ago i had a jap import motorbike and it had a red light which came on whenever the speed went over 80kph.
It may be something similar and have nothing to do with the cat temperature sensor.

Cheers
Chris

#7 radgator1

radgator1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:33 PM

Any help appreciated.

I dont know if this helps, but several years ago i had a jap import motorbike and it had a red light which came on whenever the speed went over 80kph.
It may be something similar and have nothing to do with the cat temperature sensor.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks again folks. My car is supposed to be a 1994 so if correct it shouldn't have that sensor. I guess its time to look under her. If it has a beep over 80kph you would think all the other Japan import SPi's would have this as well. I need to get to the bottom of it though because it is annoying as hell.

#8 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:15 AM

The sensor is there for a reason, there could be something wrong with your engine...running rich, burning oil etc etc, just disconnecting the buzzer isn't really doing you any favours. You need to find out why it is getting so hot!

#9 radgator1

radgator1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

The sensor is there for a reason, there could be something wrong with your engine...running rich, burning oil etc etc, just disconnecting the buzzer isn't really doing you any favours. You need to find out why it is getting so hot!

Had a look under and it doesn't look like the sensor is there at all, but even if it were, not sure the "it's there for a reason" argument holds up since it was only on Japan Spec cars so all the other SPi's and MPi's seemed to get along without it. I'm quite sure my car isn't running as it should and I'll be working on that, but first I need to figure out why it squeals like a stuck pig above 80 KPH.

Thanks again for the help.

#10 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

I have come across anumber of Japanese cars with speed beepers, but never a Mini. If it is active at 80ks, always, and regardless of engine temp (try getting to 80 from cold) gear & revs (maybe find a hill you could freewheel down?) then its most likely a speed beeper; if its more related to engine speed that just happens to come on at 80k, then its likely to be something important and you need to look more closely.

#11 mrslaphead

mrslaphead

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks again folks. My car is supposed to be a 1994 so if correct it shouldn't have that sensor. I guess its time to look under her. If it has a beep over 80kph you would think all the other Japan import SPi's would have this as well. I need to get to the bottom of it though because it is annoying as hell.

Is it possible that its been added as an extra whilst over in japan. They seem pretty keen on beepers and the like so it could be a speed warning thats been added separately .

#12 mgb1978

mgb1978

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:17 PM

Have to agree with the speed beeper guys. Lots of jap import cars have them and some of them are retro-fitted(once came across one on a '78 Datsun pick-up...don't know what it was wired into !!). If your speedo is working fine and the beep stops once you go back below 80kph then all you need to do is find out how to disconnect the bloody thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users