#1 perryscope

perryscope

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

Hi,

I went to start the car today (98 MPI cooper) and for the first time it just would not fire up. You get a slight cough and then nothing.
I quickly noticed that there was no sound from the fuel pump on prime, so i checked there was a voltage on it.
Sure enough that was fine. listening carefully it sounds like the pump is trying a little but is not pumping.

It was running fine last week, but previous to the resent over hall the car had been stood for 3 years and the tank did show signs of corrosion. I recently took the sender out as it wasn’t working and it was very corroded.

Do you think it’s possible that the pump has now sucked up some rust sediment from the bottom of the tank and could be blocked?

I was already suspicious of the pump It felt like the fuel pressure was low and i wasn’t getting the performance i was expecting, a bit on the lean side. Maybe the pump wasn’t running very well?

Can the fuel pump be removed from the tank and serviced or is it a no go area?

#2 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

Guess it can be removed and serviced - never done it myself, but be bl**dy careful with the petrol - fumes can ignite on a fart, never mind sparks, and that would be the end of the Mini (not so many around these days...) not to mention you needing a trip to the laudrette or A&E yourself.

#3 chrisking2021

chrisking2021

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Local Club: chesterfield

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

I would look on ebay for a second hand replacement or i think there is a new one on there. item number 120538464723
for the new one

chris

#4 perryscope

perryscope

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

I would look on ebay for a second hand replacement or i think there is a new one on there. item number 120538464723
for the new one

chris

:thumbsup: after taking the sender out I discovered why the car would not start. I was completely out of fuel :thumbsup: Doh!!

I knew I was getting low but looks like i was on the last dregs when i put the car in the garage last. Oops. Without any fuel in the pump is almost silent?

Anyhow with the sender out I could clearly see the rust inside the tank. It starts mid way and goes upwards, obviously due to being half full when it was stood for so long.
I still suspect the tanks got some rust sediment in it and it won’t be helping .

What do people think is the best option?

Is it worth trying to clean the remaining rust from within the tank? I have seen some POR15 tank sealing kits that claim to do a good job of this.

Or would it just be easier to get a second hand tank that’s in better nick?

Or just not worry and use the current semi-rusty one?

I would take a picture but the thought of using a flash near a petrol tank does not sound like a good idea :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users