#16 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

One problem with that, however, is that diesel engines are extremely heavy compared to petrol engines so the handling would be all to pot...

I don't know whether thats strictly true....

Yes, diesels tend to use a cast iron block rather than the more common alloy used in petrol engines, and they run higher compression so have stronger internal components, but they aren't that much heavier than a petrol engine.

In fact I bet the diesels that are small enough to fit in a Mini engine bay (by that we're talking modern small diesels) will be no heavier than the A-series. Modern gearboxes are pretty light too, so I really can't see it making much of a difference to the handling.

Its fair to say that in the past diesel cars were slow and handled like a wet sponge, but modern diesel technology is improving all the time - take a look at the Skoda Fabia VRS (i think its called?) - a diesel car that is quicker and handles as well as the BMW Cooper!

#17 crocstarr

crocstarr

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:35 PM

keep us posted with what you decide to do. its very interested. you could get a good mpg couldnt you. would run on fresh air lol.

#18 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:38 PM

Without trying to sound like I'm trying to poo poo your idea (because I'm not :grin: ) A turbo a series in a mini will start to give you serious torque steer issues. Surely putting in a turbo diesel with wads more torque would make it near undriveable? :D

It's a nice idea but I can't imagine it would be a great conversion. Most of the engine transplants that do well in mini's seem to be revvy motors rather than Torque monsters.

I'm willing to be proved wrong but just my thoughts :grin: :tongue:

#19 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:54 PM

a mini hes torque steers because of the uneven length drive shafts but if you were using another engine and gear box you wont have the minis uneven length drive shafts :D

#20 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:59 PM

Hmm you sure? It'd be an engineering spectacular if you can fit a modern turbo diesel under the front of a mini and keep equal length drive shafts!! :saywhat:

Like I said before I'm not saying it can't be done :cheese: :grin:

#21 PikeyMini

PikeyMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:14 PM

well we shall see :D

#22 marc

marc

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

I have mentioned this before, was thinking about it again the other day and thought of a rover metro diesel, i know the aren't turbo'd or that powerful but surely the engine should fit in quite neatly, may even be able to use the metro subframe?

I dont know, never seen under the bonnet of a diesel metro, once had an 8v k series though and the diesel cant be that much bigger.

I'm also a convert to turbo diesel power, drove a seat leon tdi (130bhp version, would kill petrol beemers on the motorway) and they shift, would love to drive the 150bhp version, plus a chip they produce nearly 200 bhp!

#23 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:53 PM

mrs bungles new magane 1.9 dci has 130 bhp and 290 some things of torque :grin:

#24 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:08 PM

DD's reply should read 'diesel engines belong in tractors and everyday cars'

Ahh thats better!!........

#25 Monkeh

Monkeh

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:03 PM

from what i gather a kubota commercial 3 cylinder engine can be modded quite well. they also are diesel this sounds like the best option as i belive they are turbo as standard.

#26 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:34 AM

a mini hes torque steers because of the uneven length drive shafts but if you were using another engine and gear box you wont have the minis uneven length drive shafts :D

This is the main reason why minis torque steer

http://www.sportcomp...c_technobabble/

and why mega fashionable deepdish 7" wide alloys make it worse.

#27 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:56 PM

Just my 2ps worth, I dont think it would be a major problem on a good shell as a diesel would probly shake an old one to bits.
A lot of diesel engines and boxes have equal length driveshafts, one long fixed shaft from the box secured to the engine block
Then a drive shaft the same as the n/s conected to it. I would be looking at 1.4 106 engine, The charade engine is carp.

Oh and keep the track width to a minimum like the above post
or just go rwd and ignore every thing i just said :D

#28 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:00 PM

if it helps.. i have a metro diesel sat on my drive...

a 1.4 in a bog standard metro shell too..
can let u know the sizes ect...

#29 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

I'm also a convert to turbo diesel power, drove a seat leon tdi (130bhp version, would kill petrol beemers on the motorway) and they shift, would love to drive the 150bhp version, plus a chip they produce nearly 200 bhp!

I have a quick blast of my mums 150bhp Leon FR and its good fun, will hopfully be driving it to the ring this year! Great when it achieves so many MPG should only have to fill up when we get there!

Iv also had the idea of using the diesel out of the metro! It must use a similar subby surely?

#30 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:55 PM

apparently its all the same except the engine mounts that are in a different place on one side, not a prob, only a tenner to get another

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users