#1 ryanill

ryanill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:15 PM

hi all

recently iv beenthinking of reshelling my mini as things are not 100% hear and there and i would likr to keep the car for the forseeable future.
im thinking about a fiber glass shell to avoid future rot! what i need to know is do any companys make a replica shell that isnt shortened. iv seen the minus shells that are 3 inches shorted but i would realy like to finde a exsact match in high as im 6foot 4 and barely fit in the steel shell as it is.

if anyone has any information i would be most thankful of it

ryan

#2 rusty789

rusty789

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:31 PM

Shells

#3 ryanill

ryanill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

Shells

just had a look at this link and see that the sell the minus kit and a pick up that is shorted. so i guess the FRA shels are full scale?

thankls for the link. i asume that there laminated plate inside to allow subframes to bolt to ?

ryan

#4 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

I could be wrong here but I always thought the fiberglass shells were made longer not shorter. So bigger engines could be fitted in them. SO the space in side would be the same as a normal metal one anyway.

#5 DaveCrean

DaveCrean

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

I dont know length wise but its right about the height, dont quote me but I think its 3 inches shorter height wise

#6 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

theres one on ebay atm
sprint car
made abit shorter and abit more aerodynamic
search mini fibreglass shell >_<

#7 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

theres one on ebay atm
sprint car
made abit shorter and abit more aerodynamic
search mini fibreglass shell >_<

Or just look in the classified on here...

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

try the stig

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Anyone producing a GRP shell as an exact replica of the original now will be sued by BMW or BMH. Domino cars had a licence from Rover to produce shells, but they don't exist any more and Stig told me their moulds were smashed. No one can get a licence now. The rights to produce the Chillean shells might still be around with someone.

#10 ryanill

ryanill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:01 AM

so the FRA shells are still shortened by 3 intches?

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

I believe ALL fibreglass/composite shells are deseamed therefore ever so slightly different in silhouette.

You do realise that the car will need to be SVA'd when reshelled as a composite shell is not a type approved original replacement shell, which means there are some parts from your donor vehicle which cannot be re-used.

For reference, the Minus pickup is lengthened in the cab by 4 inches, but is lower in the body height.

#12 ryanill

ryanill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

I believe ALL fibreglass/composite shells are deseamed therefore ever so slightly different in silhouette.

You do realise that the car will need to be SVA'd when reshelled as a composite shell is not a type approved original replacement shell, which means there are some parts from your donor vehicle which cannot be re-used.

For reference, the Minus pickup is lengthened in the cab by 4 inches, but is lower in the body height.

yes i am aware of the sva process and have worked on a wesfeild copy witch was sva'd. still just an isea at the moment as im not sure if the funds will be there to see the howl progect through so figuing out numbers atm. but as i said im after a shell with the original head room as im 6 foot 2

ryan

#13 FrédéricVigenon

FrédéricVigenon

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

re-opening an old topic but hey, I need the info.

I'm looking for a solution to my probem.I would like to reshell my mini but I don't want toworry about rust.

My question is simple. Where would I be able to buy an exact fibreglass shell? I looked at the link above but there are only body's on there with a space frame setup.

I would like touse my original subframes.

If anyone would know of a mini minus shell or similar shell for sale. Let me know!!

Thanks

Frédéric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users