655 replies to this topic

#16 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

Things always seem to take twice as long as they should! But at last have this job just about done. It's nice knowing everything is matched, lapped, cleaned, and greased.

New CVs fitted:

Posted Image
Mini Cooper CV by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

And the hub assembly complete:

Posted Image
Mini Cooper hub by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

Other side is at about the same point. While working late last night, without thinking I told my friend to stick his foot on the brake so I could do up the castle nut. Forgot the other calliper wasn't mounted. Thankfully the pads didn't meet, so I popped them out and pushed the pistons back out. Just waiting on some new split pins and a calliper bolt washer and I'll be back on all four wheels!

#17 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

A parcel from Minisport finally showed up! Bought my mini a nice present :( Genuine MPi mats:

Posted Image
P1010043 by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

Posted Image
MPi Cooper Mats Logo by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

Discussed a new engine and 'box with Martin @ MRA today too, might get some nice bits in the engine bay soon :proud:

#18 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

You are in good hands with MRA, but i guess you already know that. Take a look at Guessworks Web site for your gearbox issues, Martin may have already put you in touch with them. Lovely Mini by the way,

#19 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

MRA have been great and have really helped keep my car on the road. Martin knows his stuff, hence I've gone to them about my engine. I think they have some involvement with John too, the 'box photo they have on the website is a Guessworks one :)

I don't fancy taking my MPi apart, so I'm hoping MRA can do it all :)

#20 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Got a new zorst! Pulled out of the vets carpark to a huge scrape. Old exhaust is finally dead, just replaced the backbox with a cheapy kwikfit one, but its still leaking from the flex and the lcb :)

Got this to replace it all:

Posted Image
Maniflow MPi exhaust system by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

It's 1.3/4" twin box. But it looks so big and maybe loud compared to a standard one, I'm having second thoughts about fitting it :|

#21 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

It shouldn't be too loud, I know the MPI's were fitted with a rather large rear silencer, but with that shouldn't be too much louder.

#22 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

It shouldn't be too loud, I know the MPI's were fitted with a rather large rear silencer, but with that shouldn't be too much louder.

Thanks, thats reassuring! I don't mind some noise when blasting along, but what I really liked about this mini when I got it was that it was much more subtle than my previous ones, both in looks and volume! So, I don't really want to lose that 'quality' of it.

#23 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

Offered up the exhaust. Its the same one I had on my old mini, but it still looks big! But then seeing it in relation to the car, it looks okay, nice and shiney too!

Posted Image
P1010095 by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

#24 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

Doh, SRS light stuck on :)

Hopefully just something come loose!

#25 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

Had a good day yesterday. My Father came over and we replaced the gasket on the timing cover. What a pain! Hopefully it all seated okay and no longer leaked. Also replaced the gear selector seal. Filled back up with fresh oil and coolant, so that's hopefully all sorted.

Started on the exhaust. All came off pretty easy, aside the awkward to access bolts connecting the manifold to the downpipes. Anyway, some photos of progress thus far:

Posted Image
Old Exhaust by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

Posted Image
Old Exhaust Off by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

Posted Image
Leaky Bits by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

Which leaves some big gaps!

Posted Image
Nothingness by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

Posted Image
Mucky bits by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

The rear subframe has developed some surface rust over the winter. The heelboards look sound, so if I'm feeling brave, I might drop the rear subframe to tidy it all up back there before it gets too bad.

As she currently sits today:

Posted Image
Up by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

#26 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hmm. Problems fitting the Maniflow manifold. The middle studs are okay, but the ones at either end, the nuts foul the welds before they get a chance to clamp down. :D:(

#27 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

The stud problem sorted with some 5/16ths spacers fitted :D

Now I cant get the rest lined up! Grrr!!!!

#28 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

So, a bit of filing:

Posted Image
Filing washers by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

And the LCB could be fitted and torqued up :) :

Posted Image
Maniflow LCB by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

Got this far with the exhaust, then found a crack on the cat flange. Bloody speedbumps! So a new one ordered. Could still do with a clean underneath, but is that leaked oil rust prohibiting?

Posted Image
So far... by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

Soldered on a replacement connecter for the coolant temp sensor. I didn't have the problem with the fan running continually, but the garage that replaced my water pump left me with a broken connecter.

Posted Image
Coolant connector by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

And I put the bonnet back on, so it looks a bit normal again. Replacement grille is on it's way from Minispares :)

Posted Image
Front by bcjamesmini, on Flickr

#29 RayBoogs

RayBoogs

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

Got this far with the exhaust, then found a crack on the cat flange. Bloody speedbumps! So a new one ordered. Could still do with a clean underneath, but is that leaked oil rust prohibiting?

You never see a mini with a rusty front subframe, its a self preservation method :) thats the way i look at it anyway :dontgetit: my mates dad once said he had a mini that's engine leaked so bad it would spread oil all under the under side when driving along and he never had a rusty floor, just lots of oil use!

Nice looking mini, sometimes i wish i kept mine standard.

#30 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

You never see a mini with a rusty front subframe, its a self preservation method :) thats the way i look at it anyway :dontgetit: my mates dad once said he had a mini that's engine leaked so bad it would spread oil all under the under side when driving along and he never had a rusty floor, just lots of oil use!

Nice looking mini, sometimes i wish i kept mine standard.

Haha thats true. I think I'll leave it on. It's reached as far back as my cat, the top of which has almost rusted away, but the oily bottom just wiped back to clean steel!

I quite like this one being standard. It's effectively got an mpi stage 1 kit on now, but thats easily reversable. When I took the Rover tape player out and put a Sony CD player in I didn't like that either for a while! I like how this looks like a plain little mini. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users