#1 proyectoN

proyectoN

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

Hi everybody,

First of all we would like to present us. We are a group of 7 guys studying design engineering in Madrid Spain, at Universidad Antonio de Nebrija.

Gonzo has always loved minis and has done a couple for classic rallying or even a c20xe which is almost completed. He tried to start this project last year, but he found no volunteers and no founds from University. This year he tried again and here we are. As you will see in the pictures we are not professionals, but thanks to Gonzo each one of us will learn as much as possible with this project.

To the project:

Gonzo persuaded all of us with z-cars magical stuff and he convinced us that this was the way to go for. Our problem was where would we get the money from? Nebrija (our University) decided this was not an engineering exercise as most of it was already done by z-cars and denied their support.

We then decided to move on and start looking for a place a donor car and some tools, having to spend money from our pockets. Luckily we manage to speak to one of the marketing bosses of Nebrija and he looked very interested into our project. After a couple presentations, some numbers and a lot of time we finally got the necessary support to start seriously. And this is the starting line of our project!

So, what we are up to is a show/race car that has to bring the attention of all the young students wherever it goes. We’ll be at most motorsport and university events around Spain making great publicity of our University and showing people how a z-cars looks & drives like.

We’ve planned the project in 2 stages for the next 2 years. First stage will consist in bringing the car to work (driveable & good looking) and we’ll have to have the car finished for a university congress next February. Then we will have a whole year to improve it, race it and show it around.

All of this sounds like fun, but we know it will be heavy work!

This should be a presentation and shouldn’t be so long. We’ll keep posting all the news and probably asking for your help.

Thanks for reading!

Posted Image

Borja, Domingo, Nicolás, Alberto, Pablo, Aitor & Gonzo

PS: It will be a hayabusa one :thumbsup:

Edited by proyectoN, 19 May 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#2 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:03 AM

Just to confirm, you guys are going to buy a Zcars Hayabusa kit and put it together as a project for your design engineering course?

If that is true then good luck with the project, with 6 of you on board it should be done in no time at all, I guess the only probem with 6 in the group is the decision making process, going to lots of voting for stuff in the future.

I wish I had gone to a Uni that let you build other peoples kits.

#3 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

GOOD LUCK :D

#4 proyectoN

proyectoN

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

Hi there. We would like to make clear that this is not our engineering proyect, as it's already done. We're building one of these wonderfull z-cars kits as a publicity tool to atract other students attention. Of course we will be learning a lot of stuff, not only mechanical, but team work, taking decissions, solving problems, etc. and of course we will be spending a great time working on it!

Here are a couple of pictures of the progress we've done so far. We do only work on it during the weekend and right now we are starting our finals so won't be working on it for some weeks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We'll keep uploading...

Can anyone tell how thick the panels on the floor are? We need to do a couple of weldings and wanted to get some new material¿?

Edited by proyectoN, 19 May 2010 - 05:21 PM.

#5 Bendion58

Bendion58

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

Good luck guys with your project, I wish I had that amount of guys working on my
project, still have to pick up my project next week sometime,
so good luck and hope all goes well withuot any problems
and look forward to seing your progress as time goes bye.

Regards bendion58

#6 proyectoN

proyectoN

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

Thanks! :D

Edited by proyectoN, 19 May 2010 - 01:34 PM.

#7 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

Best of luck with it.....

#8 Mini Maniak

Mini Maniak

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:40 AM

Hi, good luck with your build, I wish I could build one of these amazing mini's but i'm disabled so that's out of the question, you're SO lucky you have'nt had to pay for it, I applied for a loan to get a fully built one off Chris but for some reason I got knocked back, which put a end to my dream of owning a ZCars mini, :D anyway enough of my sob story LOL good luck and keep the picture's coming,

Gaz

P.S this is my first post on the forum yay for me!!! :)

#9 proyectoN

proyectoN

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:38 PM

Thank you all!

The first problems of rust we've found:

Posted Image

As you see, there is or was quiet a few rust on that part of the floor. We're thinking of welding a big plate to it from one side to the other, keeping the gear change box in the middle. What do you think? Any other good ideas? This way all the pipes would be parcially protected and the shell would be more solid.

Posted Image

What metal thickness would you suggest?

Thanks,

Grupo N-10

#10 wtverouden

wtverouden

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

Cheers guys, good luck with the build. You'll find all the tips and tricks you'll need in other builds.

Good luck and keep posting, im very interested in the result with six engineers on it.

#11 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

Cheers guys, good luck with the build. You'll find all the tips and tricks you'll need in other builds.

Good luck and keep posting, im very interested in the result with six engineers on it.

if you weld anything in the floor pan be sure that it still keeps its original shape where the rollcage feet sit near the edge of the floor each side
you need to keep the sloping section as the feet of the cage hit the floor at a slight angle
i would use 1.5 or 2 mm thick metal
2 mm will be easier to weld to the old floor as it wont melt away as easily
chris

#12 proyectoN

proyectoN

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

Chris thank you for your advice! We'll keep that angel in mind and will use a 2mm sheet of metal we already have.

We do have a slight problem with the engine. We are very tight on our budget and as all of you know hayabusa engines are still worth a lot of money. We’ve been offered a 06 complete hayabusa engine (engine + loom +ecu + clocks) which has covered around 16000 km for around 2600 euros (2250 pounds) and don’t know what to do. What do you think? Should we go for it?

How many miles does such an engine last in a mini? It’s that or we go for an R1 engine, which will cost half of that, which means we could replace the engine further on.

Posted Image

2x R1 engines low miles or 1x hayabusa engine with some more miles on the clock?

Thanks you all,

GrupoN

Edited by proyectoN, 23 May 2010 - 10:24 AM.

#13 De Blerende Beetle

De Blerende Beetle

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

Give Yorkshire Engine Supplies an email and see what he can do for you engine-wise. I bought a lovely 2009 with 500miles for 3850+vat. Maybe he can do you a nice deal on a earlier model.

#14 proyectoN

proyectoN

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hi there.

It's been a while since we last posted, as we all had our final exams, we weren't able to work on the proyect. Now we've started again to make some progress.

We bought an complete gsxr 1000 engine a couple weeks back, which had a power comander and 11.000 miles on it. It was not the best engine but it was very pricy (can you say so¿?) so we went for it. Luckely last weekend we made a great deal with someone who was selling a complete b-king 07 engine with only 5000 miels on it. It was such a nice guy.... many thanks!!

Posted Image

B-king engines are almost exactly as hayabusa engines, so we are very very lucky to have it now. Bad news is that we're almost out of budget, as we also bought some 13's wheels, cobra monaco seats and a couple more things. We now have to sell the gsxr 1000 engine to get some money and keep going.

Right now we're still working on the shell as it had some rust as you can see on the pictures.

Next to buy are some metro 4pot brakes and hubs. Hopefully we will be able to upgrade these further on, but right now and with the money we've got sounds like the most reasonable option. What do you think¿?

Our kit will be done in the next couple of weeks. Thank you for all your time and help Chris :thumbsup:

Attached Files

#15 jay30

jay30

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

Wow! I am going to keep an eye on this thread.

Good luck with the project.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users