#1 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Local Club: skylineowners.com, turbominis

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:00 PM

anyone got a cherry bomb exhaust on their mini turbo? (single box)

if yes whats it sound like?

thanks in advance

#2 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:53 AM

Dont mater what they sound like does it?? Cheery bombs are pants in my opinion. Always best using the tried and test on the aging A seires. I think they are based more around what they sound like rather than performance. No offence intended, but I reckon they are for the chavvy boys where its all show and no go.

#3 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:40 AM

For the first exhaust I put on my turbo, I basically went to Demon Tweeks and bought the smallest, lightest scilencer that they made (but not a cherry bomb). Cobbled it together with a load of 2" pipe and it sounded ok.

But being such a small scilencer the baffles burnt out quite quickly, so I put a slightly bigger one on. You can't hear the exhaust above the gearbox now.

Wil

#4 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:43 PM

Dont mater what they sound like does it??

was just wondering what it sounds like, my mate has just bought one for his sierra rs and its just like a tube, not much to it realy. His sierra now has a nice deep burble thought it might sound good on a mini also.

what system do you guys use?

#5 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:17 PM

Im making my own s/s system as I cant get a usuall box to fit under my car. Im planning on using the mid section off a Maniflow twin box system which is of excellent quality and then fabricating a rear pipe that runs partially in the boot and exits through the rear valance.
I had a S/s Single box RC40 from Minispares last time and that sounded lush. Ive got a recording of it but Im not sure whether I can play it on the forum

#6 Karl

Karl

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:28 PM

Dont mater what they sound like does it??

was just wondering what it sounds like, my mate has just bought one for his sierra rs and its just like a tube, not much to it realy. His sierra now has a nice deep burble thought it might sound good on a mini also.

what system do you guys use?

most people seem to use the RC40, after all, it is the best, and nly costs £54 cat back (obv injection), probably cheaper for carb

#7 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

My exhaust does almost exactly what you describe Oldskoolbaby.

It exits on the drivers side through the valance, running above the subframe in the boot.

This allowed me to put a big sheet of ally under the subframe, making it nice and arodynamic. Worked a treet actually, was MUCH more stable at 100mph.

Wil

#8 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:26 PM

is there anything performance/power wise stopping you just using a length of 2" from the downpipe all the way to the back of the car ie no silencer?

i'm just running one of the usual stainless side exit back boxes cobbled to a 2" link pipe to the downpipe at the minute, it burbles a bit at tickover but can't hear it on the road (mainly due to the gearbox i suppose :D ) but it'd make speedbumps a lot easier if i could just use a length of pipe.

#9 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:15 AM

Cool. I havent heard of anyone doing that yet. Im going to have mine splitting in to 2 3" pipes running through the middle of the boot but only at the floor level. Just enough to get it over the center of the subframe. I know the twin 3" pipes are pointless from a performance point of view but I need an exhaust note to match the bark of twin webers and s/c drops :grin: Anyway, given that Im gunna use the Maniflow link pipe which is 1 7/8 wide, I dont think Ill loose power.

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:18 AM

There must be at least one scilencer on a road car able in reducing the noise to a satisfactory level.

MOT failure on noise alone not to mention the police not liking it

#11 Brett

Brett

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:49 PM

this is why i ask about the cherry bomb because if i am going to use it on its own there will be virtualy no silencer and i dont want/cant have a box in the middle

#12 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:19 PM

will let you know about the cherry bomb in a few weeks, should be starting to fit my mates engine this weekend and he's gonna be running an almost identical silencer to that one.

i've seen a turbo'd imp on TM that just runs a short maybe 12" pipe from the turbo as an exhaust straight out through his bootlid (also featured in this months retro cars mag) which is road legal hence why i asked the question, seeing as the turbo kills a lot of the exhaust sounds anyway.

#13 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini Club forum

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:17 PM

Seen thaty one and its not very noisey in real life. Alot of turbo bikes have about a 6" exhaust from the turbo. When i get my turbo lump sorted i was gonna do this aswell.

#14 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Local Club: TMF Lincoln

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:31 PM

Are you wanting performance or noise. Im sticking with my 1 7/8 wide maniflow lcb RC40 with link pipe to rear DTM centre exit box, its sounds so SWEEEEEET on mine now but when i convert to turbo im still going to have it. Theres no point having an exhaust that sounds good but doesnt do anything for the car, i mean you may even loose power. Example an ugly bird dressed in realy expensive clothes still dont get me going :cry: "If its worth doing well its worth doin proper"

#15 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:01 PM

been having a play today...straight pipe sounds rubbish, basically like a car with no exhaust surprisingly. but didn't affect the engine at all.

tried it with a single cherry bomb aswell and it sounds pretty nice, a bit louder than my single stainless box.

Nick :cry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users