#16 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

the front end of mine was rattle canned and i think it turned out lovely. halford decent off the shelf stuff is the best if its a good match as its sprays easily as far as cans go and finishes nicely aswell. :(

#17 Calman

Calman

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

Hi what paint did you use to roll that mini ?, and did you use any thinners, that finish looks great.

I'd go with the roller option, much cheaper and easyier to get a better finish. As cans are only really good for doing the odd panel, not a whole car.

This is the finish i got on the rear panel and this is striaght from the tin, onto the roller and then the car, i've aslo yet to flat and polish it.

Im thinking of doing my Pug 309.

Did you just slapp it on over the original paint? Or key the surface prime, wet and dry between coats? And how many layers of primer and paint did you use?

+ Anything else worth metioning if you dont mind.

EDIT Quoted piccys removed

Seeing as I originally bought it and most of the parts when I was working, but just never had the time to do any thing to it. So I’m now trying to finish it as best I can on a budget of pretty much nothing.

The car has been primed since day one of the project during all the rust repairs with screw-fix red oxide, brushed on nice and thick and left for a few days to fully dry. Then the primer rubbed back with these grey foam-sanding blocks I’d found in the local pound store.

Once I was happy with the primer it was time for the paint, which again isn’t anything special being as its dulux non-drip gloss. Applied straight from the tin using a gloss roller head and fine paintbrush for all the bits the roller won’t get to.

If you mix it with thinners it does funny things, so best not too and it also helps to warm the paint up in a bowl of warm water (or a stupidly warm garage during the nice weather), as it just helps it roll on smoother.
With 3 coats of paint being more than enough, with a light sanding with the now used (so they are finer) sanding blocks inbetween, but this time used wet with a washing up liquid solution.

And that’s pretty much the finish I’ve got with doing the above, as I say I’ve yet to flat it off and polish. But I might also try and see after a week or two whether I can apply some Halfords lacquer over the top to seal it and help with the shine.

Thats brilliant mate, thanks, keep us posted on how the laqur works :dontgetit:

#18 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

I painted mine with halfords flame red 89. its not bad. but it will never be like a professional spray job. its all about the effort put in with the prep. i found i got half way with the prep and was so desperate to see some colour on it i just went mad and sprayed the lot. BIG mistake.

prep

Primer

Painted

Cost? about £350 Endless hours taking shell to bare metal.. 3 days to paint... its booked in for a proper job after the summer. god i wish i had got it done right the first time. the proper job is quoted at £750 if i do most of the prep.. URRGGGHHHHH!

#19 lindy119

lindy119

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Local Club: looking for one!!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Looks fine from here!

#20 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

Looks fine from here!

I dare not post any close ups. its rubbish honest!!!

#21 brianmini

brianmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Local Club: MiniClan

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

Where do you get your primer from at £2 a can?

Ebay is your friend.... took me a while hunting it down, needed grey primer but settled for white primer, which meant I ended up using a little extra BRG for coverage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users